Forum: Ruby-Gnome 2 cannot use files created with glade 3.10

F889bf17449ffbf62345d2b2d316a937?d=identicon&s=25 Michal Suchanek (Guest)
on 2011-08-18 17:52
(Received via mailing list)
Hello

glade 3.10 (as opposed to 3.7) now creates files with GtkBox with
property direction (as opposed to GtkHBox and GtkVBox). The same with
GtkButtonBox (and probably split).

ruby-gtk2 1.0.0-1 crashes on reading those.

   GLib-GObject-WARNING **:cannot create instance of abstract
(non-instantiatable) type `GtkButtonBox'
testcombo.rb:24: [BUG] Segmentation fault
ruby 1.8.7 (2011-06-30 patchlevel 352) [x86_64-linux]
B985bf8029d396259f579c70f809269a?d=identicon&s=25 Simon Arnaud (sarnaud)
on 2011-08-19 10:09
Michal Suchanek wrote in post #1017321:
> Hello
>
> glade 3.10 (as opposed to 3.7) now creates files with GtkBox with
> property direction (as opposed to GtkHBox and GtkVBox). The same with
> GtkButtonBox (and probably split).
>
> ruby-gtk2 1.0.0-1 crashes on reading those.
>
>    GLib-GObject-WARNING **:cannot create instance of abstract
> (non-instantiatable) type `GtkButtonBox'
> testcombo.rb:24: [BUG] Segmentation fault
> ruby 1.8.7 (2011-06-30 patchlevel 352) [x86_64-linux]

It's a glade bug.

It has ben reported here and there, but not upstream, afaik.
https://bugzilla.redhat.com/show_bug.cgi?id=712924
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/glade/+bug/822861

I reverted to glade 3.8 for the time being.
B985bf8029d396259f579c70f809269a?d=identicon&s=25 Simon Arnaud (sarnaud)
on 2011-08-19 11:34
Simon Arnaud wrote in post #1017458:
> It has ben reported here and there, but not upstream, afaik.

I found the upstream bug :

https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=652673

However, they are basically saying that glade 3.10 is for GTK3, and that
it won't be fixed.

So you have 2 options :
* Use glade 3.8
* Make ruby-gnome2 GTK3 compatible
F889bf17449ffbf62345d2b2d316a937?d=identicon&s=25 Michal Suchanek (Guest)
on 2011-08-19 13:27
(Received via mailing list)
On 19 August 2011 11:34, Simon Arnaud
<ruby-forum-incoming@andreas-s.net> wrote:
> So you have 2 options :
> * Use glade 3.8
> * Make ruby-gnome2 GTK3 compatible

Not sure what the latter would take.

Is the xml read in Ruby or passed verbatim to some gtk function?

Preprocessing the V/H boxes should be easy enough but there might be
other changes I did not hit so far.

Thanks

Michal
4828d528e2e46f7c8160c336eb332836?d=identicon&s=25 Robert Heiler (shevegen)
on 2011-08-19 18:13
> So you have 2 options:

Third option: abandon glade.

:)

But kidding aside, I myself abandoned the XML world and won't go back to
it again. I think it was a good choice.
F889bf17449ffbf62345d2b2d316a937?d=identicon&s=25 Michal Suchanek (Guest)
on 2011-08-19 18:34
(Received via mailing list)
On 19 August 2011 18:13, Marc Heiler <ruby-forum-incoming@andreas-s.net>
wrote:
>> So you have 2 options:
>
> Third option: abandon glade.
>
> :)
>
> But kidding aside, I myself abandoned the XML world and won't go back to
> it again. I think it was a good choice.
>
I am not *looking* at the xml representation of the UI.

Well, I lie. In fact I am right now because it broke.

But I don't care what format it is so long as it is static data that I
can tune outside of my code and just load in.

Generating the UI dynamically on the fly from the program has its uses
but should not be the standard way to display an UI.

Thanks

Michal
F889bf17449ffbf62345d2b2d316a937?d=identicon&s=25 Michal Suchanek (Guest)
on 2011-08-23 15:52
(Received via mailing list)
Attachment: glade-previewer.rb (4 KB)
On 19 August 2011 11:34, Simon Arnaud
<ruby-forum-incoming@andreas-s.net> wrote:
> So you have 2 options :
> * Use glade 3.8
> * Make ruby-gnome2 GTK3 compatible
>

FWIW I wrote something like the glade 3.10 glade-previewer in ruby
which can read the glade3 layouts, at least for me.

It uses Nokogiri to change the layout so that it can be instantiated
using ruby-gnome2.

Obviously, not all elements are straightforward to update and there
are some I don't use so they might not work with some options or at
all.

Attaching the script.

Thanks

Michal
D672cde900230b0baf01066869277f16?d=identicon&s=25 Marc Quinton (mqu)
on 2012-11-30 14:13
Michal Suchanek wrote in post #1018053:

> FWIW I wrote something like the glade 3.10 glade-previewer in ruby
> which can read the glade3 layouts, at least for me.
>
> It uses Nokogiri to change the layout so that it can be instantiated
> using ruby-gnome2.
>
> Obviously, not all elements are straightforward to update and there
> are some I don't use so they might not work with some options or at
> all.

thank you very much ; it does the job very nicely.
Please log in before posting. Registration is free and takes only a minute.
Existing account

NEW: Do you have a Google/GoogleMail, Yahoo or Facebook account? No registration required!
Log in with Google account | Log in with Yahoo account | Log in with Facebook account
No account? Register here.