Forum: Ruby on Rails Multiple process-independent rails apps

0cfed8578fdd30c896da1e810bd34df9?d=identicon&s=25 virgild (Guest)
Hi. I'm trying to explore how to implement this scenario: I'd like to
have
multiple rails applications on separate vhost processes so I can bring
down
/ restart one without affecting the other. I'm using lighttpd right now,
but
if there's an Apache solution, then that's good too. Thanks.
076d793369cf7c992cc3984e95cee196?d=identicon&s=25 stoyan (Guest)
On 11/29/05, Vurg <virgild@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi. I'm trying to explore how to implement this scenario: I'd like to have
> multiple rails applications on separate vhost processes so I can bring down
> / restart one without affecting the other. I'm using lighttpd right now, but
> if there's an Apache solution, then that's good too. Thanks.

You can use supervise or runit with spawn-fcgi.  Here for more info: [
http://bougyman.com/miscfiles/RailsonDebian.html ]

In general in lighttpd.conf you configure ip:port for every FastCGI
listener (not path and socket like usial). With spawn-fcgi (daemonided
and monitored by runit/supervise) you start/stop listeners (they can
be even on different machine). The same can be done for SCGI also.

And i have several questions to the list:
- Are the process spawned by scgi monitored by the main process? I
mean if some of them die will it be restarted automaticaly?
- Is it possible the monitoring/ restarting to be realized only with
pure ruby? I mean will the script/ spinner or script/spawner
automaticaly restart the dead fastcgi processes?