Forum: Ruby on Rails How to uninstall ruby on ubuntu 10.10

9fe873f850006c639d9ee61dc656546f?d=identicon&s=25 Gerson Novais (Guest)
Hi everyone,

Please forgive the English I'm using the google translator.

I decided to learn Ruby on Rails recently, and I am configuring a
virtual machine with Ubuntu 10.10. however I am having trouble
installing ruby and rails. This is because when running the gem
install rails I am informed that the zlib not found. I would uninstall
and try to use the ruby by RVM.

The command sudo make uninstall from the build directory does not
exist, and I do not know how to uninstall.

Could anyone tell me how? Articles on the Internet I see none worked.

Despite being in a virtual machine condition and I have to send into
space and install again from scratch, does not seem right, it can
never get a 100% managed.

Thanks.
On 25 September 2010 23:45, Gerson Novais <gersongfpn@gmail.com> wrote:
> The command sudo make uninstall from the build directory does not
> exist, and I do not know how to uninstall.

How did you install ruby?

In fact, strange as it may seem, you do need a ruby installed _before_
you can use rvm, as it uses the existing installed ruby to compile the
other versions of ruby that you install via rvm.  You can just leave
your current one installed, it will not interfere with the rvm
versions.

Colin
9fe873f850006c639d9ee61dc656546f?d=identicon&s=25 Gerson Felipe (Guest)

> Colin

Hello

But then I need to hit that my installation, why I need to remove it
because
it has already deleted the directory / usr / local / lib / ruby of
trying to
remove the ruby.

The installation took shape as explained in the official website,
unzipping
and running

. / Configure
make
sudo make install

What I need right now is to uninstall ruby. sudo make uninstall does not
work.

Gerson
56b7e1808013614acdb73cbaaa6938a1?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Pavling (Guest)
On 25 September 2010 23:45, Gerson Novais <gersongfpn@gmail.com> wrote:
> I decided to learn Ruby on Rails recently, and I am configuring a
> virtual machine with Ubuntu 10.10. however I am having trouble
> installing ruby and rails.

If you're learning, don't try to do everything in one go. Use a
pre-configured Rails environment to learn the framework (in a virtual
machine), and worry about the sysadmin stuff later:

http://www.virtualrails.org - everything in one package; Ruby, Rails,
IDE/editor, GUI
http://www.turnkeylinux.org/rails - Rails core if you want to keep
your development on your physical machine
A920644c601729400076e8f4735bd787?d=identicon&s=25 volkan özdemir (Guest)
2010/9/26, Colin Law <clanlaw@googlemail.com>:

--
www.webvolkan.blogspot.com
volkan özdemirintelefon numarası
On 10-09-25 06:45 PM, Gerson Novais wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Please forgive the English I'm using the google translator.
>
> I decided to learn Ruby on Rails recently, and I am configuring a
> virtual machine with Ubuntu 10.10. however I am having trouble
> installing ruby and rails. This is because when running the gem
> install rails I am informed that the zlib not found. I would uninstall
> and try to use the ruby by RVM.

for zlib all you may need to do is install the dev files

sudo aptitude install zlib1g-dev

why do you want to use rmv? you don't need it to get a ruby on rails
platform working. only reason you want to use rvm is because you want to
run many version of ruby and or rails and be able to switch between the
two.

if you're going to learn rails just install ruby 1.9.2p0 with rails 3
and start to learn the future now

--
Kind Regards,
Rajinder Yadav