Forum: Typo Integrating Paperclip

673e201a7100f17a6441e62f74464f08?d=identicon&s=25 Gabriel Williams (standingwave)
on 2010-09-14 00:24
I just started using Typo and have it installed on Heroku.  Heroku
doesn't allow files to be written to disk (at least not permanently) so
I'm thinking of using Paperclip to handle file uploads and persisting on
Amazon S3.  So I have a couple questions:

1. Has anyone else integrated Paperclip (or any other file upload plugin
that supports S3 like attachment-fu) with Typo before?

2. It looks like there are two separate components where Typo handles
uploading files, the filemanager stuff and the CKeditorController.  Is
that actually the case or is there something I'm missing?  I've just
started to dive into the code and dig around so I wouldn't be surprised
if I've overlooked something.

Thanks for any help or pointers.

Gabriel
8f6b8e99f52f0928287b01a006950f52?d=identicon&s=25 Matijs van Zuijlen (mvz)
On 09/14/2010 12:24 AM, Gabriel Williams wrote:
> I just started using Typo and have it installed on Heroku.  Heroku
> doesn't allow files to be written to disk (at least not permanently) so
> I'm thinking of using Paperclip to handle file uploads and persisting on
> Amazon S3.  So I have a couple questions:
>
> 1. Has anyone else integrated Paperclip (or any other file upload plugin
> that supports S3 like attachment-fu) with Typo before?

It seems someone else is working it, but it doesn't seem like he got
very far yet:

   http://github.com/framallo/typo/commit/c72221a580e...

Maybe you can combine forces?

> 2. It looks like there are two separate components where Typo handles
> uploading files, the filemanager stuff and the CKeditorController.  Is
> that actually the case or is there something I'm missing?  I've just
> started to dive into the code and dig around so I wouldn't be surprised
> if I've overlooked something.

I must admit this is a part of the code I know very little about, but
you will
definitely need to take into account
Admin::BaseHelper#show_thumbnail_for_editor
and Admin::ResourcesHelper#show_thumbnail. And of course you'll have to
rewrite
the Resource model, but that's kind of the point of integrating
paperclip.

Let us know how you're doing.

Regards,
673e201a7100f17a6441e62f74464f08?d=identicon&s=25 Gabriel Williams (standingwave)
on 2010-09-29 23:24
Thanks Mat.  I was hoping not to have to refactor quite so much of the
existing code, but I think you're right that I'll have to overhaul all
of the Resource model.  I'm going to dig into this over the next week or
so.  If I get anywhere with it I'll report back.  I'm sure I can't be
the only person who has this need.

Gabriel
700f9a3b883e6a04d018f48290b1a3fd?d=identicon&s=25 de Villamil Frédéric (Guest)
Le 29 sept. 2010 à 23:24, Gabriel Williams a écrit :

> Thanks Mat.  I was hoping not to have to refactor quite so much of the
> existing code, but I think you're right that I'll have to overhaul all
> of the Resource model.  I'm going to dig into this over the next week or
> so.  If I get anywhere with it I'll report back.  I'm sure I can't be
> the only person who has this need.
>
> Gabriel

Hello Gabriel,

If you start working on a paperclip integration, please do it on the
Rails 3 branch, as we're going to merge it to HEAD very soon.

Best,
Frédéric

--
Frédéric de Villamil
"What's mine is mine. What's yours is still unsetteled" – Go player

Gabriel

de Villamil Frédéric wrote:
> Le 29 sept. 2010 � 23:24, Gabriel Williams a �crit :
>
>> Thanks Mat.  I was hoping not to have to refactor quite so much of the
>> existing code, but I think you're right that I'll have to overhaul all
>> of the Resource model.  I'm going to dig into this over the next week or
>> so.  If I get anywhere with it I'll report back.  I'm sure I can't be
>> the only person who has this need.
>>
>> Gabriel
>

> Hello Gabriel,
>
> If you start working on a paperclip integration, please do it on the
> Rails 3 branch, as we're going to merge it to HEAD very soon.
>
> Best,
> Fr�d�ric
>
> --
> Fr�d�ric de Villamil
> "What's mine is mine. What's yours is still unsetteled" � Go player
> proverb
> frederic@de-villamil.com                        tel: +33 (0)6 62 19 1337
> http://t37.net                       Typo : http://typosphere.org
700f9a3b883e6a04d018f48290b1a3fd?d=identicon&s=25 de Villamil Frédéric (Guest)
Hello,

No, Rails 3 branch has nothing backward compatible with Rails 2.3.8
branch. Well, if you push your work on github, maybe (and I hope) we'll
be able to backport it.

Best regards