Forum: NGINX nginx company

0f7a1240e82f744c6c607fa7081b99f7?d=identicon&s=25 Igor Sysoev (Guest)
I have got news for you about nginx.

Recently it became very clear for me that because of increasing
popularity
of nginx and the volume of work required to develop the code and doing
support, I really need to put it at another level.

So, I have decided to focus even more on nginx and established nginx
as a company to fully dedicate myself to the project. I am not alone,
there are a few nice people working for me on this. I am focusing on
the development part, and to some extent on the company operations as
well.

Our primary goals are improving support and communication for our users,
streamlining the development process, revamping the documentation,
integrating and speeding up pending bugfixes and patches, introducing
long-requested functionality and more.

It should be noted that nginx will remain free, open-source software
under 2-clause BSD license. There will be no shortage of new and
long-awaited features too.

Thank you very much for your ongoing support through all these years.
Without your awareness, feedback and support nginx would not become
that successful. I am really looking forward to see more people who
found nginx useful. I am also very glad we now have a proper way
of doing a lot more for you.

Thanks!

--
Igor Sysoev
526b09f2b949aae346eda86df5827b1f?d=identicon&s=25 "António P. P. Almeida" <appa@perusio.net> (Guest)

Congratulations Igor. And all the best for your new venture. I believe
the market is ripe for such an offering. At least in the drupal world,
which I follow more closely, the awareness has being growing and now
it's the time.

Looking forward for new developments brought by this newborn company.

Obrigado & Felicidades,
António
1157fba612d80eeb750fc533766fdfac?d=identicon&s=25 Umesh Sirsiwal (Guest)
Igor,
Excellent news indeed. Congratulations and good luck.

-Umesh
45778d9119ad503655542a9d979a3861?d=identicon&s=25 Rajeev J Sebastian (Guest)
Thats awesome! Best of luck to you in your new venture.

Regards
Rajeev J Sebastian
7b8fb033ada5a3242ebc30d8cd1c1554?d=identicon&s=25 Joe (Guest)
Igor,

Great news and we wish you a luck in the future.

Regards,
Joe

On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 10:19 PM, Rajeev J Sebastian <
48b564166397e6a59d8500cd43b54af8?d=identicon&s=25 Maxime Ducharme (Guest)
Hi Igor, this is wonderful news !

We are running nginx on hundreds of server pushing hundreds of gbits/s
with very good results.

Hope you have good success in the new company :)

Have a good day

--
Maxime Ducharme
Systems Architect
On Mon, Jul 18, 2011 at 7:14 AM, Igor Sysoev <igor@sysoev.ru> wrote:

> Our primary goals are improving support and communication for our users,
> streamlining the development process, revamping the documentation,
> integrating and speeding up pending bugfixes and patches, introducing
> long-requested functionality and more.

A big +1!

Hopefully under this company on your own you will be adequately
compensated :)

I think the minor, iterative release process keeps the changes small
enough to be very clean to upgrade. However it does make it a hassle
it seems for most of the distributions to keep up. It would be great
to see a roadmap and what you're currently working on/have planned,
and perhaps a place to solicit ideas (I suppose we could just make a
page on the wiki) for improvements.

I assume you will make it known that your company is available for
professional services/consulting, since that will probably be the most
lucrative way to continue to make money off your free software.

Congratulations. This is a big step in showing the world how serious
nginx is!
1ed66911122a5c1beffc061e2cd29f5d?d=identicon&s=25 Joshua Zhu (Guest)
Great news!

As a guy knows something of this startup earlier than other people, I'm
so
glad the company is finally established. It is definitely good news both
nginx and the whole community.

Congratulations to Igor and the new nginx team (especially to Alex)!
Wish you guys a brighter future.

Regards,
Joshua
Abf8263b130530e99a931ef0080a89f9?d=identicon&s=25 "杨镭" <clanherb@gmail.com> (Guest)
It's definitely a great news for every company that embrace open source
software and probably a big threat to commercial company selling
expensive
black box :)

nginx FTW!
2974d09ac2541e892966b762aad84943?d=identicon&s=25 leepengg (Guest)
Great news and Congratulations.

Posted at Nginx Forum:
89bbfb169f008b30a569c2de6b3e62f7?d=identicon&s=25 Wendal Chen (Guest)
Great news and Congratulations.

Thanks for *All the Fish !*

2011/7/19 leepengg <nginx-forum@nginx.us>
435df31fbaa9264c0d8a8886de2f5595?d=identicon&s=25 Rahul Bansal (Guest)
Wow! This is really a great news.

This move will definitely bring more users in our community since many
times
not-so-techie users prefer to go with commercially supported software.

I hope your Nginx venture will provide commercial support & services.
You
can also partner with some hosting companies for extra revenue.

We started a dedicated portal ( http://wpnginx.com/ ) for
wordpress-nginx
related consultancy & services and so far it received good response
without
any marketing activity.

The point is - your venture is something people are awaiting out there!

Wish you & your team plenty of time... :-)

Regards,
-Rahul
--
Rahul Bansal | Founder & CEO | rtCamp Solutions Pvt. Ltd.
Skype: rahul286 | Twitter: @rahul286 | Web: http://rtcamp.com/

-jf

and if you use the program, he is your master."
    --Richard Stallman

"It's so hard to write a graphics driver that open-sourcing it would not
help."
    -- Andrew Fear, Software Product Manager, NVIDIA Corporation
http://kerneltrap.org/node/7228
8c9235d728640582af97dec7225da0b5?d=identicon&s=25 Eugaia (Guest)
Hi Igor,

Congratulations on the new move.  I hope it works out well for you.

On 18/07/2011 17:14, Igor Sysoev wrote:
> Our primary goals are improving support and communication for our users,
> streamlining the development process, revamping the documentation,
> integrating and speeding up pending bugfixes and patches, introducing
> long-requested functionality and more.
As well as the above list, there one thing that I think would be really
useful for module developers - that is to have a more standardized
interface.  If you look through the code of modules from seasoned and
careful module developers, you often see a lot of code which does checks
for nginx_version and a version number.

This obviously happens because changes are made to the core code, and
the module developers are taking the time and effort to try to ensure
that their modules compile in a large range of versions of Nginx.
However, for developers to have to do this themselves in each of the
modules they create is a pain, and to me it makes more sense to try to
keep such changes in one place.

If you could create and maintain say an ngx_api package that included
files with macros and/or functions that would allow module developers to
keep such checks in their own modules to a minimum (or eliminate them
totally), I think it would make the life of module developers much
easier.

Thanks,

Marcus.
64a6a16c63c2c3aa08b319b1b9b0a594?d=identicon&s=25 Ed Tiller (tillere)
on 2011-07-26 20:10
Igor,
Excellent news!! Congrats to you and your team for all of your hard
work. We love nginx and look forward to your continued success.

Regards,

-Ed
5fdada893aecf361d226b53067e276ff?d=identicon&s=25 SplitIce (Guest)
Congrats Igor. Hope you are successful and that this path leads to the
widespread adoption of nginx as well as the increased development of
'edge
features' (specifially the ones we have been begging for for ages :) )
Df3d720b0387da4124961d1de6622632?d=identicon&s=25 John Manoogian III (jm3)
on 2011-08-04 23:12
Congrats to Igor and the nginx team!

A note on the transition: IMHO, one reason that Rails + Passenger have
both succeeded so quickly is, in addition to great code, they had great
visual designs. If nginx (the company or the open source project) needs
any help with design + UX, i would love to help! Feel free to ping me at
www.jm3.net or @jm3 on twitter.

I welcome a future, faster-paced, global dominating nginx!

--

jm3
Existing account

No account? Register here.