Forum: Ruby Shoes 3 released

233c279c012ebac792aaa805f966cbc7?d=identicon&s=25 Steve Klabnik (Guest)
Hey there everyone. We've just released Shoes 3, "Policeman", to
celebrate Whyday!

You can get it here: http://shoes.heroku.com/downloads

== About Shoes

Shoes is a cross-platform toolkit for writing graphical apps easily
and artfully using Ruby.
Unlike most other GUI toolkits, Shoes is designed to be easy and
straightforward without losing power. Really, it’s easy!

== Release notes

- This brings Shoes to use Ruby 1.9.1.
- All dependancies have been updated to their latest versions
- General stability improvements
- Currently, the OSX build is only for Snow Leopard, 64 bit. We'd love
to make a version for Leopard, 32 bit systems, but we don't have
anyone with the hardware. If that interests you, please send a message
to our mailing list, shoes@librelist.com
- Have fun on Whyday!
0026dd77fd9ecc97b36e5b79cdbcf590?d=identicon&s=25 R. Kumar (sentinel)
on 2010-09-05 10:04
Steve Klabnik wrote:
> Hey there everyone. We've just released Shoes 3, "Policeman", to
> celebrate Whyday!

I've just downloaded and played a bit with Shoes 3. Great !
I've also checked out the "shoes -m" option.

Is there any way for me to get detailed documentation on the methods of
shoes, what all options they take etc. I've checked rdoc.info but it
does not provide details on app, flow, stack, various widgets. I've
cloned the git repo and search a lot. I think most of what i am looking
at is in the C code ??

The reason i am wanting this documentation is that I have just started
writing a wrapper for rbcurse and i thought i could make it very Shoes
like ... I'd thus like to know all the methods and parameters the
components etc have.

thx. rahul
233c279c012ebac792aaa805f966cbc7?d=identicon&s=25 Steve Klabnik (Guest)
The definitive guide is the manual, located here:
http://shoes.heroku.com/manual/Hello.html
0026dd77fd9ecc97b36e5b79cdbcf590?d=identicon&s=25 R. Kumar (sentinel)
on 2010-09-06 19:08
Steve Klabnik wrote:
> The definitive guide is the manual, located here:
> http://shoes.heroku.com/manual/Hello.html

This appears very much like the output of "shoes -m"

However, when going through the samples, there are so many other methods
(widgets) that are not clear what htey are, where is the documentation
for them, what config params do they accept.

Even for para, stack and flow, what are all the params/config ?
What are tagline, caption - are they documented ?

I will go through the link in more detail and see if they have detailed
documentation.
thanks.
233c279c012ebac792aaa805f966cbc7?d=identicon&s=25 Steve Klabnik (Guest)

> However, when going through the samples, there are so many other methods

(widgets) that are not clear what htey are, where is the documentation
> for them, what config params do they accept.

Honestly, I feel your pain. I've actually be experimenting with a total
re-write of Shoes, and I've been resorting to reading the source in some
case.

One of the big things we're targeting for the next Shoes release is
easier
compilation, and better documentation. I'd like to tell you something
better
than that, but.... _why's projects are... like that. Sometimes. We're
working on it.
0026dd77fd9ecc97b36e5b79cdbcf590?d=identicon&s=25 R. Kumar (sentinel)
on 2010-09-06 20:56
Steve Klabnik wrote:

>> However, when going through the samples, there are so many other methods
>
> (widgets) that are not clear what htey are, where is the documentation
>> for them, what config params do they accept.
>>

> Honestly, I feel your pain. I've actually be experimenting with a total
> re-write of Shoes, and I've been resorting to reading the source in some
> case.
>
> One of the big things we're targeting for the next Shoes release is
> easier
> compilation, and better documentation. I'd like to tell you something
> better
> than that, but.... _why's projects are... like that. Sometimes. We're
> working on it.

Hey,
I've spent the last hour going through the link you gave, and its
**wonderful*. It is answering many questions, and light bulbs are going
off :)

I just wish this documentation had been around at the time of writing
rbcurse. At that point, I looked at Shoes, TK, QT, Swing and many
others. Shoes doc was meagre then.  I've been writing an rbcurse wrapper
that is much like Shoes, and in a few hours only, its coming out
wonderfully. All the awful boilerplate code gone.
Thanks for the great work, Steve.
233c279c012ebac792aaa805f966cbc7?d=identicon&s=25 Steve Klabnik (Guest)
Awesome. :)

Please don't feel afraid to email me off list or send a message to the
shoes
list (shoes@librelist.com) if you've got anything specific.
F1ae87d23c050dbad815489dbde2f226?d=identicon&s=25 Prasad G. (gdprasad)
on 2010-09-22 15:42
Steve Klabnik wrote:
> Hey there everyone. We've just released Shoes 3, "Policeman", to
> celebrate Whyday!

I am using Ubuntu 10.04
ruby 1.9.1p378 (2010-01-10 revision 26273) [x86_64-linux]

I just downloaded
shoes-shoes-3.0.0-0-ga5006e8.tar.gz

Installed dependencies and ran 'rake'

I am happy to inform that compiling went without a problem and I have
shoes running with some samples.
My application 'honoi' written long back and posted on 'shoebox' runs
fine.

Prasad
0ea7f61aec8fee539be0cf39b7bab77c?d=identicon&s=25 Benoit Daloze (Guest)
On 22 September 2010 15:42, Prasad G. <gdprasad@gmail.com> wrote:
> My application 'honoi' written long back and posted on 'shoebox' runs
> fine.
>
> Prasad

Wow, did not see this cool little app, very interesting :)
(and runs fine on Shoes3 OSX)

B.D.
233c279c012ebac792aaa805f966cbc7?d=identicon&s=25 Steve Klabnik (Guest)

> I am happy to inform that compiling went without a problem and I have
> shoes running with some samples.

Awesome!

> My application 'honoi' written long back and posted on 'shoebox' runs
> fine.

Even better!

ruby 1.9.1p378 (2010-01-10 revision 26273) [x86_64-linux]

Just a brief reminder, Shoes compiles its own Ruby into itself, so it
doesn't really matter which Ruby you're running; you'll get 1.9.1p378
inside
of Shoes.

Thanks for letting me know it went well! Keep me posted with the cool
things
you do with Shoes!
B31e7abd14f1ceb4c4957da08933c630?d=identicon&s=25 Josh Cheek (Guest)
On Thu, Aug 19, 2010 at 11:04 AM, Steve Klabnik
<steve@steveklabnik.com>wrote:

> straightforward without losing power. Really, its easy!
> - Have fun on Whyday!

I just gave Shoes a try, it was a lot of fun. Went in with no knowledge,
and
other than a very very tiny swing project, and playing around with
limelight
for a few hours, I've never had any GUI experience before. In the end, I
spent maybe 6-8 hours on it over the course of a day. Most of that,
spent
learning how Shoes works (one downside is that I haven't found a good
way to
get my app to give me feedback, and I have no idea how you would test it
--
JRuby maybe?). The manual on shoesrb is really well done, and the guys
on

Ended up making a small video game, Night Of The Living Ruby! You can
watch
a short vid (<2min) at http://vimeo.com/16265101

Thanks a lot guys (and _why, if you ever read this, thank you, too).
233c279c012ebac792aaa805f966cbc7?d=identicon&s=25 Steve Klabnik (Guest)
Thanks Josh!

> (one downside is that I haven't found a good way to
> get my app to give me feedback, and I have no idea how you would test it --
> JRuby maybe?).

What do you mean by 'feedback,' exactly? There's logging to the Shoes
Console, which you can send via the ' info "log message" ' method, and
open the console with alt-/.

Testing is something we're working on getting in place for the next
iteration of Shoes; GUI testing is hard...
B31e7abd14f1ceb4c4957da08933c630?d=identicon&s=25 Josh Cheek (Guest)
On Thu, Oct 28, 2010 at 9:45 AM, Steve Klabnik
<steve@steveklabnik.com>wrote:

> Testing is something we're working on getting in place for the next
> iteration of Shoes; GUI testing is hard...

Hi, Steve. Yeah, that's probably what I was looking for. I had
instantiated
my own logger for most of it.
Existing account

No account? Register here.