Forum: Ruby on Rails compass dosent work for me

nirosh (Guest)
hi all. i have install compass(followed instructions on compass home
page) but  when i run the compass command my terminal returns the
"compass: command not found" error.
my os is ubuntu, rails version  2.3.5,  ruby 1.8

any one has idea???

regards,
nirosh.
Hassan Schroeder (Guest)
On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 4:09 AM, nirosh <kunalan.kandiah@gmail.com>
wrote:
> hi all. i have install compass(followed instructions on compass home
> page) but  when i run the compass command my terminal returns the
> "compass: command not found" error.
> my os is ubuntu, rails version  2.3.5,  ruby 1.8
>
> any one has idea???

Did you do `gem install compass` or `sudo gem install compass` ?

What does `gem list --local compass` output?

twitter: @hassan
nirosh (Guest)
*** LOCAL GEMS ***

compass (0.10.4)

but getting error when running "compass version"
error msg is "compass: command not found"
Hassan Schroeder (Guest)
On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 8:34 AM, nirosh <kunalan.kandiah@gmail.com>
wrote:

> *** LOCAL GEMS ***
>
> compass (0.10.4)
>
> but getting error when running "compass version"
> error msg is "compass: command not found"

So it's not in your PATH. You didn't answer this question:

> Did you do `gem install compass` or `sudo gem install compass` ?

twitter: @hassan
nirosh (Guest)
yes i did install compass gem
Hassan Schroeder (Guest)
On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 10:35 AM, nirosh <kunalan.kandiah@gmail.com>
wrote:
> yes i did install compass gem

OK, one more time:

> Did you do `gem install compass` or `sudo gem install compass` ?

The answer is not "yes", it's `which command did you use?`.

twitter: @hassan
nirosh (Guest)
sudo gem install compass.
but getting error when running "compass version" that populate an
error msg ("compass: command not found")

nirosh
Hassan Schroeder (Guest)
On Mon, Aug 16, 2010 at 10:19 PM, nirosh <kunalan.kandiah@gmail.com>
wrote:
> sudo gem install compass.
> but getting error when running "compass version" that populate an
> error msg ("compass: command not found")

Odd, but apparently it didn't get added to your existing PATH.

You'll have to find where it got installed and add that location to your
PATH manually.

twitter: @hassan
AppleII717 (Guest)
Might try

locate "bin/compass"

to see what bin directory it is installed in and compare against your
path.

Steve Alex

On Aug 17, 9:12 am, Hassan Schroeder <hassan.schroe...@gmail.com>