Forum: Ruby Getting docs on openssl in ruby

C5793bd91d4b06e0e11003c14dafb44d?d=identicon&s=25 Matthew Pounsett (mpounsett)
I've been digging around trying to find some documentation on using
openssl in ruby, and having a terrible time of it.  The openssl sections
of the standard library docs at ruby-doc.org are empty, I don't see
anything related to openssl docs installed with ruby on my system, and
even the programming ruby book I've got has only a couple of small
examples that only cover the client side of the connection.  Google
hasn't been very useful in finding other documentation sources .. all
I'm coming up with is past posts from people trying to solve specific
problems with openssl, not documentation.

Is there some proper documentation for the openssl libraries somewhere
that I'm missing?

Thanks!
   Matt
Bc8e3e2f7acb3a7d93c10e235dc0b4e1?d=identicon&s=25 yermej (Guest)
On Jul 15, 12:20 pm, Matthew Pounsett <m...@conundrum.com> wrote:
> I've been digging around trying to find some documentation on using openssl in ruby, and
having a terrible time of it.  The openssl sections of the standard library docs at
ruby-doc.org are empty, I don't see anything related to openssl docs installed with ruby
on my system, and even the programming ruby book I've got has only a couple of small
examples that only cover the client side of the connection.  Google hasn't been very
useful in finding other documentation sources .. all I'm coming up with is past posts from
people trying to solve specific problems with openssl, not documentation.

> Is there some proper documentation for the openssl libraries somewhere that I'm missing?
>
> Thanks!
>    Matt

As far as I've been able to tell, Ruby's openssl is just a very basic
wrapper. Most docs/examples for openssl in general can be used as a
basis for doing the same thing in Ruby. Unfortunately, openssl doesn't
have the greatest docs either so a lot of searching is still required.
It does help to not limit your searches to Ruby specifically though.

You might also find some more useful examples if you download the Ruby
source code and look in sample/openssl/.

If you have a more specific question, post here and I'll try to help.

Jeremy
On 2010/07/15, at 13:55, yermej wrote:

> You might also find some more useful examples if you download the Ruby
> source code and look in sample/openssl/.
>
> If you have a more specific question, post here and I'll try to help.

It's hard to ask more specific questions since I'm just starting out.
I'm at that point where I don't know what I don't know.  I'll have a
look at those samples and dig around for some more general openssl docs
and see what comes up.

Thanks!
Existing account

No account? Register here.