Forum: Mongrel Chunked transfer

360328e2acc8615db9bf9ebd603a88f9?d=identicon&s=25 Sergio Lombrico (Guest)
Hi.

Does mongrel support 'chunked' transfer encoding ?

We are sending images from a J2ME app, but do not seem to be able to
read
the entire xml message that gets sent from the mobile device. The
message is
posted to our RoR app running on a mongrel server.

Regards,

Sergio
714df4094c6cc4a71b835b5ed3668f6b?d=identicon&s=25 Todd Fisher (taf2)
I believe mongrel can be used to send chunked responses.   I did that
with
the mongrel-esi server, haven't been keeping it updated but might still
be
able to refer to that source as a reference...

On Thu, Jun 17, 2010 at 12:50 PM, Sergio Lombrico
<sergio.lombrico@gmail.com
18813f71506ebad74179bf8c5a136696?d=identicon&s=25 Eric Wong (Guest)
Sergio Lombrico <sergio.lombrico@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi.
>
> Does mongrel support 'chunked' transfer encoding ?

Hi Sergio,

Not for requests, but of course it can generate chunked responses.

> We are sending images from a J2ME app, but do not seem to be able to read
> the entire xml message that gets sent from the mobile device. The message is
> posted to our RoR app running on a mongrel server.

<shameless plug(s)>

Rainbows![1] and Zbatery[2] both support chunked requests using the HTTP
parser found in Unicorn[3] (which is descended from the Mongrel parser).

The ThreadSpawn[4] concurrency model with Rainbows!/Zbatery is similar
to Mongrel, and can handle slow clients reasonably well.  Both Rainbows!
and Zbatery work great on *nix, and Zbatery _may_ work on Win32 as well.

Unicorn itself is only designed to run behind nginx, so it is wasteful
if you're dealing with slow connections from a J2ME mobile app.  I don't
remember nginx being able to parse chunked requests, but that may have
changed.  The added benefit of Rainbows!/Zbatery is they can read and
process the chunked request in your app incrementally while it's being
uploaded.

[1] http://rainbows.rubyforge.org/
[2] http://zbatery.bogomip.org/ (no, not a typo :)
[3] http://unicorn.bogomips.org/
[4] http://rainbows.rubyforge.org/Rainbows/ThreadSpawn.html

</shameless plug(s)>
360328e2acc8615db9bf9ebd603a88f9?d=identicon&s=25 Sergio Lombrico (Guest)
Hi. Thanks for replying.

Unfortunately we need to receive chunked requests sent to a mongrel
server.
Are there any other alternatives other than WEBrick ?

G.