Forum: Ruby on Rails We're sorry, but something went wrong...

5e80d3424065608a384e110185ed22d1?d=identicon&s=25 GFP (Guest)
I am an RoR newb, so bear with me here. I am on an Intel based Mac
running OS X 10.4.11

I have started the 'RoR Essentials' tutorial on lynda.com. I have
installed (I believe) all the necessary components:

ruby 1.8.7 (2008-05-31 patchlevel 0) [i686-darwin8.11.1]
Rails 2.3.8
gem version 1.3.5
mysql  Ver 14.14 Distrib 5.1.47, for apple-darwin8.11.1 (i386) using
readline 5.1
WEBrick 1.3.1

Following the tutorial:

> Created project 'my_app'
  $ rails -d mysql my_app
  (It is my understanding I need to define MySQL as the database as
MySQLite is Rails the default)
> Start the server.
> Access the RoR home page at http://localhost:3000/.
  This page displays as expected but...
> When I select 'About your application's environment' I get the error

"We're sorry, but something went wrong.
We've been notified about this issue and we'll take a look at it
shortly."

At this point in the development log I see:

/!\ FAILSAFE /!\  Sun Jun 13 19:22:05 -0400 2010
  Unknown database 'my_app_development'...

I ignore this error and go ahead and create the ('say')  controller
(say_controller.rb) per the tutorial:

$ script/generate controller Say

and add the 'hello' method

Attempting then to access:

http://localhost:3000/say/hello

generates the same "We're sorry, but something went wrong." error is
returned.
I am supposed to get a 'Template is missing' error.

Added to the development log now includes:

/!\ FAILSAFE /!\  Sun Jun 13 19:33:38 -0400 2010
  Unknown database 'my_app_development'

I have seen a suggestion to revert to MySQL 5.0 but I cannot find
where to download it to even try.

Thank you in advance for your support.
D5c1930db4950fcc36f408c228e26204?d=identicon&s=25 DK (Guest)
Hi, I think you need to rake db:create

Then if still have the error, then look at config/database.yml as it
might
point to your login credentials being wrong.
On 14 June 2010 01:17, GFP <herecomesgreen@gmail.com> wrote:
> readline 5.1
>  This page displays as expected but...
>  Unknown database 'my_app_development'...
>
> I ignore this error and go ahead and create the ('say')  controller
> (say_controller.rb) per the tutorial:

Generally (but not always) error messages are useful and are best not
ignored :)
The error is complaining that the database does not exist.  I guess
that in config/database.yml you have specified my_app_development as
the database.  The app tries to open this and is failing.  Create the
db and that error should disappear. rake db:create should do it
(provided you have set user and password in database.yml correctly).

Colin
5e80d3424065608a384e110185ed22d1?d=identicon&s=25 GFP (Guest)
Since I am that much of a newb and unfamiliar with the 'rake' command
(notwithstanding your instructions) I removed the db names from
'database.yml' and that solved the issue - for now.

I suspect I may encounter another issue when I get to the part in the
tutorial when the database *is* created?

I don't understand why then in the tutorial there was not a problem. I
am sure I did not miss the/a part where the db was created. I did
follow the instructions for creating a password for MySQL user
'root' (newb to MySQL, and programming in general as well!). If you
could shed any light on that it would be appreciated.

But now I can forge ahead! Thank you!!

I imagine I will be utilizing this board pretty frequently as I move
forward.
5e80d3424065608a384e110185ed22d1?d=identicon&s=25 GFP (Guest)
Since I am that much of a beginner and not familiar with the rake
command (notwithstanding your instructions) I removded the database
names from the database.yml file and that appears to have resolved the
issue for now. I suspect I may encounter another issue when the/a
database is created (?).

I am sure I followed the tutorial step by step, and there was no
mention of creating a database yet. Of course in the tutorial
everything works as expected. I am curious why mine didn't. Rails
created the project and files, assumed the database name, but there
was no database. Any light you can shed on this would be appreciated.

At least I can move forward now. Thank you!

I imagine I will be utilizing this group frequently as I forge ahead.
On 14 June 2010 12:29, GFP <herecomesgreen@gmail.com> wrote:
> was no database. Any light you can shed on this would be appreciated.
Sorry, I do not know that tutorial.  You could ask the supplier.

By the way, it is generally preferred not to top post in this list,
rather insert your reply at the appropriate points in the previous
mail.

Colin
GFP wrote:
> I am an RoR newb, so bear with me here. I am on an Intel based Mac
> running OS X 10.4.11

Er, why are you still on Tiger?

> I have started the 'RoR Essentials' tutorial on lynda.com.

Don't.  That tutorial is way out of date.  You won't be able to use it
with current Rails versions.  Follow a recent tutorial; perhaps the
Rails Guides at http://guides.rubyonrails.org are a good place to start.

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser