Forum: wxRuby wxRuby documentation suggestion: include screen captures

9e7e1fa694211d5a1618962734e5cb48?d=identicon&s=25 Roger Sperberg (rsperberg)
on 2010-04-23 20:23
I was thinking that screen captures would benefit many of the
explanations in the documentation of wxRuby.

And as I work my way through different portions of the API, I'm willing
to make some of those captures.

Who is the best person to contact about this?

Thanks!

Roger

rsperberg at gmail
On 23/04/2010 19:23, Roger Sperberg wrote:
> I was thinking that screen captures would benefit many of the
> explanations in the documentation of wxRuby.

That's a great idea ...
> And as I work my way through different portions of the API, I'm willing
> to make some of those captures.
>
> Who is the best person to contact about this?

... and thanks for your willingness to help. It's so good that it's
already being done for wxWidgets; see, for example:

http://docs.wxwidgets.org/trunk/classwx_button.html

The current wxRuby API documentation is stored in Textile, in
docs/textile in the distribution. This is being maintained for 2.0 but
not really developed - patches for text mistakes are welcome on this
list, or (preferably) wxruby-development or the patch tool on Rubyforge
- a maintainer will pick them up.

But I don't think this will help with images - the best way might either
be to participate in the wider wxWidgets effort (hopefully, wxRuby will
integrate the new upstream docs), or to make some wiki pages on
wxruby.rubyforge.org.

thanks again
alex
9e7e1fa694211d5a1618962734e5cb48?d=identicon&s=25 Roger Sperberg (rsperberg)
on 2010-04-24 00:21
Alex Fenton wrote:
> The current wxRuby API documentation is stored in Textile ...
>
> But I don't think this will help with images - the best way might either
> be to participate in the wider wxWidgets effort (hopefully, wxRuby will
> integrate the new upstream docs), or to make some wiki pages on
> wxruby.rubyforge.org.
>
> thanks again
> alex

You know the lay of the land, and so I'm not disputing you. But couldn't
any screen capture be uploaded to, say, wxruby.rubyforge.org/img/ and
referenced in the existing documentation as well as contributed to any
upstream effort?

Because even if the documentation is not being developed, it's all that
users new to wxRuby such as myself have to rely on now.

And while I'm not knowledgeable about wxRuby, even I can open a Textile
document, insert a URI sandwiched between exclamation points, and check
the document back into SVN without bringing the server down. :-)

But I'll add some pages to the wiki about the example files as I work
through them and try out their essential features in my own beginning
apps.

Roger

rsperberg at gmail
On 23/04/2010 23:21, Roger Sperberg wrote:
> You know the lay of the land, and so I'm not disputing you. But couldn't
> any screen capture be uploaded to, say, wxruby.rubyforge.org/img/ and
> referenced in the existing documentation as well as contributed to any
> upstream effort?

Sorry, I was being a little lazy. If we add images (which I think we
would like to) we'd want them to work so that they're managed in SVN,
bundled with the gems and uploaded in bulk to the server. So it'd need a
few tweaks to the packaging rake scripts. But if you're willing to take
snaps of 10+ classes and do the patches to the docs, I'm happy to
integrate those and update the rakefiles.

> Because even if the documentation is not being developed, it's all that
> users new to wxRuby such as myself have to rely on now.

I agree, though it's always worth remembering that wxRuby is part of a
much larger ecosystem. There is a vast amount on the web about wxWidgets
and wxPython which is very helpful for Ruby. It

> And while I'm not knowledgeable about wxRuby, even I can open a Textile
> document, insert a URI sandwiched between exclamation points, and check
> the document back into SVN without bringing the server down. :-)

:)

thanks
alex