Forum: NGINX gzip_proxied question

bryndole (Guest)
I'm new to nginx. After setting up a reverse proxy and reading the
documentation I am still left baffled over what the gzip_proxied option
does.

http://wiki.nginx.org/NginxHttpGzipModule#gzip_proxied

gzip_proxied

syntax: gzip_proxied  ...

default: gzip_proxied off

context: http, server, location

It allows or disallows the compression of the response for the proxy
request in the dependence on the request and the response. The fact
that, request proxy, is determined on the basis of line "Via" in the
headers of request. In the directive it is possible to indicate
simultaneously several parameters:

I'm guessing the description is directly translated from the Russian?
Google translate offers the following:

Enables or disables compression using gzip to answer proxied requests
depending on the request and response. The fact that, proxied request is
determined on the basis of the line "Via" in the request header. The
directive can specify multiple paarmetrov:

Not sure what the "Via" request header is.

Can someone explain (in English please!) what this option does? My hunch
(hope) is that it may enable pass through for gzip'd responses from the
backend? Am I close?

Thanks in advance,

Bryn

Posted at Nginx Forum:
Maxim Dounin (Guest)
Hello!

On Thu, Mar 04, 2010 at 06:04:18PM -0500, bryndole wrote:

> I'm new to nginx. After setting up a reverse proxy and reading
> the documentation I am still left baffled over what the
> gzip_proxied option does.
>
> http://wiki.nginx.org/NginxHttpGzipModule#gzip_proxied

[...]

> Not sure what the "Via" request header is.

> Can someone explain (in English please!) what this option does?
> My hunch (hope) is that it may enable pass through for gzip'd

No.

As long as client request was identified as one came from proxy
server ("Via" header present) nginx is able to disable or enable
it's own gzip depending on various conditions.  These conditions
are controlled via gzip_proxied directive.

Maxim Dounin
bryndole (Guest)
As long as client request was identified as one came from proxy
server ("Via" header present) nginx is able to disable or enable
it's own gzip depending on various conditions. These conditions
are controlled via gzip_proxied directive.

Thank you, that makes complete sense now.

-Bryn

Posted at Nginx Forum: