Forum: Ruby on Rails Problem: The command "rake db:create:all" crashes

31fdda5f38fc6df4e193cfb7445ddc5a?d=identicon&s=25 RichardOnRails (Guest)
Hi All,

I'm running:
Rails 2.3.5
MySQL 5.1.44
WindowsXP-Pro/SP3

Following Noel Rappin's book, Pro RoR, I successfully got past the
point of creating my first scaffold:
ruby script/generate scaffold supplier nickname:string  qbname:string
That produced the migration, 20100221011210_create_suppliers.rb:
class CreateSuppliers < ActiveRecord::Migration
  def self.up
    create_table :suppliers do |t|
      t.string :nickname
      t.string :qbname

      t.timestamps

  def self.down
    drop_table :suppliers

Then I ran "rake db:create:all".  The Command  Window display for this
is:

K:\_Projects\Ruby\_Rails_Apps\_EIMS\RTS>rake db:create:all
(in K:/_Projects/Ruby/_Rails_Apps/_EIMS/RTS)
K:/_Utilities/ruby186-26_rc2/ruby/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/
activesupport-2.3.5/lib/active_support/core_ext/module/
introspection.rb:73: [BUG] Segmentation fault
ruby 1.8.6 (2007-09-24) [i386-mswin32]

This application has requested the Runtime to terminate it in an
unusual way.

K:\_Projects\Ruby\_Rails_Apps\_EIMS\RTS>

Then I checked for generated databases with:
mysql> show databases;

Among several tables, it showed only one of my RTS app's expected
databases: rts_development.
My database.yaml specifies the normal 3: development, test and
production

Further, I tested whether this database had the specified table
"supplier":
mysql> show tables in rts_development;
Empty set (0.00 sec)

Then I tested whether I could drop the RTS database:
mysql> drop database if exists rts_development;
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.01 sec)

All the logs in RTS\log are empty except for development.log.  But as
far as I can tell,  all that data was written a couple of days ago
when I had an older edition of MySQL and gave me crashes.

Any ideas on how to proceed.  I've tested my current version of MySQL
with a number of commands in the MySQL monitor in a Windows Command
Window and seems to perform well.

Any ideas?

Thanks in Advance,Richard
48af402ac1a5a73b29d0d81438aaeddb?d=identicon&s=25 Sharagoz -- (sharagoz)
on 2010-02-23 09:58
> Any ideas on how to proceed.  I've tested my current version of MySQL
> with a number of commands in the MySQL monitor in a Windows Command
> Window and seems to perform well.
>
> Any ideas?
>
> Thanks in Advance,Richard

I know there are some issues with RoR and MySQL 5.1 on windows, at least
for Vista x64 and Win7 x64. I dont know if there's a bug with the
adapter or if
its mysql itself. I suggest you try version 5.0.
31fdda5f38fc6df4e193cfb7445ddc5a?d=identicon&s=25 RichardOnRails (Guest)
Hi Sharagoz,

> I suggest you try version 5.0.

5.0 was working well for years on my WinXP machine.  I thought that
since I had a bad installation for the purpose rake db:create:all, I
outgh to get the latest release of MySQL.  But that extra step might
have been unwise.

Thanks for the suggestion.
Richard