Forum: Rails I18n Globalize2 v0.2.0 upcoming

402602a60e500e85f2f5dc1ff3648ecb?d=identicon&s=25 Sven Fuchs (Guest)
I've just tagged Globalize2 v0.1.1 and merged the 0.2.0 to master.

Globalize2 v0.2.0 will ship no features except model translations.

The first version of Gobalize2 had to implement a few things that had
not made it into the I18n gem yet, such as locale fallbacks, extensible
pluralization etc. Now that these things are available in the I18n gem
the Static backend and related stuff could be stripped off from
Globalize2.

Feedback and bug reports are highly appreciated :)

0646eaedce16b713e507da62b5de0768?d=identicon&s=25 jbalvig (Guest)
Sven,

I use Globalize on a daily basis (http://tw.japan-guide.com/) and have
a lot to thank you for, so I am glad to see a new version! :)

One question:

Was eager loading stripped out or replaced somehow in this update?
Looks like the new "with_translations" named scope serves a similar
purpose but since there are practically no cases were I don't want to
load translated data I had :include => :globalize_translations as a
default_scope and it seems this doesn't work anymore?

On Dec 27, 1:34 am, Sven Fuchs <svenfu...@artweb-design.de> wrote:
> I've just tagged Globalize2 v0.1.1 and merged the 0.2.0 to master.
>
> Globalize2 v0.2.0 will ship no features except model translations.
>
> The first version of Gobalize2 had to implement a few things that had not made it into
the I18n gem yet, such as locale fallbacks, extensible pluralization etc. Now that these
things are available in the I18n gem the Static backend and related stuff could be
stripped off from Globalize2.

> Feedback and bug reports are highly appreciated :)

0646eaedce16b713e507da62b5de0768?d=identicon&s=25 jbalvig (Guest)
Ah, never mind. I see now that the association has been renamed from
"globalize_translations" to "translations" and this was causing the
problem!
402602a60e500e85f2f5dc1ff3648ecb?d=identicon&s=25 Sven Fuchs (Guest)
Whoops, I've probably missed your last email.

Yeah, I've renamed the association because people complained that
:include => :globalize_translations etc seems overly verbose. I should
probably add that to the readme or something.
673b82afa5547658491c13671e0761ed?d=identicon&s=25 Davide Barison (Guest)
i'm trying lastest globalize + rails 2.3.5

it works, but locale fallbacks does not
i18n integrated in rails missing the Static backend, i found only
Simple backend

i need 0.3.3 gem to get globalize 0.2.0 working?

On Dec 26 2009, 5:34 pm, Sven Fuchs <svenfu...@artweb-design.de>
On Jan 14, 2010, at 6:14 PM, Davide Barison wrote:
> i'm trying lastest globalize + rails 2.3.5
>
> it works, but locale fallbacks does not
> i18n integrated in rails missing the Static backend, i found only
> Simple backend

Yeah, you should not need the Static backend. That's an outdated
extension of Simple that we've shipped with Globalize2 v1 because I18n
missed a bunch of features we wanted for Globalize2 (such as Fallbacks).
Meanwhile these features have all been moved to I18n and the old crufty
Static backend is not up to date anymore.

> i need 0.3.3 gem to get globalize 0.2.0 working?

Ah, year. That's probably right. The Fallbacks module has been in I18n
only since (iirc) 0.3.x

Thanks for the headsup!
Ebecfa2fcf3adda56063f996b79ca6b6?d=identicon&s=25 Johannes B. (igelig)
Hi Sven!

> Globalize2 v0.2.0 will ship no features except model translations.

How about a note in the Readme? I was using Globalize2 for a while and
wondered, where all the cool features were gone after an update. ;-)
Gonna install i18n in a sec.

Also, I think there are too many outdated websites about Rails i18n
out there. I'm not sure if you can do anything about it, but I think
web pages like http://globalize-rails.org/ and http://rails-i18n.org/
should have prominent links or even redirect to
http://github.com/joshmh/globalize2
things like "Last update in may 2007", I would consider those project
as dead.

Regards, Johannes