Forum: Ruby-Gnome 2 0.90.9 release tarball incomplete?

F889bf17449ffbf62345d2b2d316a937?d=identicon&s=25 Michal Suchanek (Guest)
Hello,

I was trying to get gio working and after some searching concluded
that ruby-gnome2 0.19.3 packaged in Debian does not have that.

I downloaded ruby-gnome2-all-0.90.9 and while the readme mentions
libraries like libart or glade2 the directories with bindings for them
are not included.

I don't really care about deprecated gnomevfs going away and I don't
really know what libart was for but I do miss libglade2 and I think I
could possibly use gtkglext too.

Thanks

Michal

In <BANLkTimfb-9Aj2VY+qFVCGDJDwhqRF8oRA@mail.gmail.com>
  "[ruby-gnome2-devel-en] 0.90.9 release tarball incomplete?" on Tue, 21
Jun 2011 16:02:27 +0200,
  Michal Suchanek <hramrach@centrum.cz> wrote:

> I downloaded ruby-gnome2-all-0.90.9 and while the readme mentions
> libraries like libart or glade2 the directories with bindings for them
> are not included.

Sorry. The README is outdated. We will fix it.

> I don't really care about deprecated gnomevfs going away and I don't
> really know what libart was for but I do miss libglade2 and I think I
> could possibly use gtkglext too.

Here are deprecated libraries:
  https://ruby-gnome2.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/ru...

Deprecated reason is "the original library is deprecated" or
"no active maintainer for the binding".

kou

On 23 June 2011 03:07, Kouhei Sutou <kou@cozmixng.org> wrote:
> Sorry. The README is outdated. We will fix it.
>
>> I don't really care about deprecated gnomevfs going away and I don't
>> really know what libart was for but I do miss libglade2 and I think I
>> could possibly use gtkglext too.
>
> Here are deprecated libraries:

 https://ruby-gnome2.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/ru...

> Deprecated reason is "the original library is deprecated" or
> "no active maintainer for the binding".

Thanks for explaining.

As I understand it these are already old and deprecated:
bonobo
gnomeprint
gnomevfs

While there might be migration issues these have replacements:
panel-applet -> gtk2
arts + gnomecanvas -> pango-cairo + goocanvas
sourceview -> +2
gtkhtml -> mozembed (except for the editor if that was ever wrapped)

These have no replacement
gconf - used by many applications, probably required for proper
gtk/gnome integration
gnome - ???
gtkglext - nice to have, most toolkits strive to support OpenGL apps
glade - crucial for GUI application development

You can write many useful applications without gtkhtml-editor and
gtkglext. You can store configuration elsewhere than gconf, although
it harms integration, and may cause issues if you want to access
existing configuration. However, glade is large part of what ruby-gtk
and ruby-gnome is.

For many applications it is not feasible to put together the GUI
on-the-fly, the glade editor is crucial in writing these applications.

Is it difficult to keep at least glade among the released bindings?

Thanks

Michal

In <BANLkTinA-xSmnXG8TpX-X7Poe8m+EegKew@mail.gmail.com>
  "Re: [ruby-gnome2-devel-en] 0.90.9 release tarball incomplete?" on
Thu, 23 Jun 2011 08:52:02 +0200,
  Michal Suchanek <hramrach@centrum.cz> wrote:

> These have no replacement
> gconf - used by many applications, probably required for proper
> gtk/gnome integration

gconf is replaced by GSettings (and dconf).
GSettings is included in GIO but Ruby/GIO2 doesn't support
it yet. :< (We need help for it.)

> gnome - ???

GTK+ 3 has all API that libgnome has.

See also:
  http://live.gnome.org/DevGnomeOrg/Gnome3PortingGuide
  http://live.gnome.org/LibgnomeMustDie

> gtkglext - nice to have, most toolkits strive to support OpenGL apps

There is Clutter: http://www.clutter-project.org/
There was Ruby bindings for Clutter but it's not maintained...

> glade - crucial for GUI application development

Gtk::Buidler is the replacement of it.

See also:
  https://ruby-gnome2.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/ru...

kou
F889bf17449ffbf62345d2b2d316a937?d=identicon&s=25 Michal Suchanek (Guest)
> gconf is replaced by GSettings (and dconf).

 https://ruby-gnome2.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/ru...

That's kind of non-obvious.

Perhaps the README should not only mention these bindings  were
deprecated but also what replaces them.

Thanks

Michal
Copy / Paste the reply by kou into the README :-)

If I could code in C, I would gladly help, but by C is very, very bad.
Existing account

No account? Register here.