Forum: Radiant CMS Intermittent Application Error on shared hosting w/ FCGI

515d99da5168da6627a63735bae09357?d=identicon&s=25 Jon Hope (jonmidhir)
on 2009-06-15 16:05
I've managed to get Radiant running for a client on a shared hosting
server, and it works grand. The client likes the interface and is
comfortable using textile etc so that's great. The only problem is that
every once in a while it throws an Application Error (Rails Application
did not start properly). This happens every 20 or so page refreshes and
appears to happen more often in the admin section.

This can be particularly annoying when uploading assets using
paperclipped as you can end up waiting several minutes just to get this
error.

Anyways, I'd really like to clear this up. I can't understand why the
application wouldn't start properly when it's already running! Or why
the error would occur sometimes and not others.

Perhaps because it's a shared server it's to do with other users
bursting out of their CPU usage and it not being there to handle the
request?

Any help would be seriously appreciated! Thanks,
2219b363feb10ee316dbb7ad9741114f?d=identicon&s=25 Ben Morrow (benmorrow)
on 2009-06-18 20:08
Jon Hope wrote:
> I've managed to get Radiant running for a client on a shared hosting
> server, and it works grand. The client likes the interface and is
> comfortable using textile etc so that's great. The only problem is that
> every once in a while it throws an Application Error (Rails Application
> did not start properly). This happens every 20 or so page refreshes and
> appears to happen more often in the admin section.

You are probably running out of memory (RAM) on the server. If you have
a private server, you can increase your available RAM to fix the error.