Forum: JRuby Datamapper/AppEngine: "org.jruby.RubyClass is not a supported property type"

Chris C. (Guest)
I'm using the latest trunk of appengine-apis-0.0.4 and the
dm-appengine-0.0.1 gem to talk to DataMapper (0.10.0) on App Engine via
JRuby (1.3rc) on Rails. I thought this configuration was compatible.

However, when I try to save an instance of my Car model, I get an error
saying that "*org.jruby.RubyClass is not a supported property type*".
The
full trace is here: http://pastie.org/502404
I have no idea what might be causing this.

The Car model is basic:

class Car
  include DataMapper::Resource

  property :id,     Serial
  property :make,   String
  property :model,  String
end

And the Controller does very little beyond generic scaffold logic and
trying
to save an initial Car to the datastore:

http://pastie.org/502400

Finally, this is how I set up Datamapper in my Environment.rb file:

http://pastie.org/502405

Would appreciate any feedback on what might be going wrong here.
Ryan B. (Guest)
I believe the problem is that you're using a property named 'model',
but DataMapper::Resource already has a model method. I suspect it will
work if you change the name of that property.

-- Ryan B.

On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 11:26 PM, Chris C.<removed_email_address@domain.invalid>
wrote:

> And the Controller does very little beyond generic scaffold logic and trying
> to save an initial Car to the datastore:
>
> http://pastie.org/502400
>
> Finally, this is how I set up Datamapper in my Environment.rb file:
>
> http://pastie.org/502405
>
> Would appreciate any feedback on what might be going wrong here.

That was the answer. Thanks Ryan.
Charles Oliver N. (Guest)
If you could, I'd say this should be reported as a bug somewhere. Ryan,
where do you want bugs for dm-appengine? I think it should report a
better, more helpful error.

Chris C. wrote:

>      > However, when I try to save an instance of my Car model, I get an
>      >   include DataMapper::Resource
>      > http://pastie.org/502400
>
>        http://xircles.codehaus.org/manage_email

The issue tracker for dm-appengine is at
http://code.google.com/p/appengine-jruby/issues/list

However this is actually appears to be DataMapper issue 756:
http://datamapper.lighthouseapp.com/projects/20609...

-- Ryan B.