Forum: RSpec Example group parallel execution

Cca9d2bbe94f3c50fe0a37a4fb3ea397?d=identicon&s=25 Joe Ocampo (Guest)
So I am working on a project right now where we are combining Selenium
and
RSpec.  It was working really well until we implemented the grid and
started
to do parallel execution on the specs to help speed things up. We are
rolling are own framework as DeepTest did not really provide the
facilities
we were hoping.

Our problem is that we have mutiple context per file.  Currently the
Thread
runner executes the files in paralle per file. As you can imagine this
isn't
very efficient once the grid executes it, as it simply turns a prallel
prococess back into a serial one once it parses the file.  My question
is
where should I hook into RSpec to incercept the call of when the example
group "context" is being executed as an atomic unit?

Thanks for your help in advance.

Joe Ocampo
agilejoe.lostechies.com
On Fri, Jun 5, 2009 at 9:44 AM, Joe Ocampo <agilejoe@gmail.com> wrote:
> where should I hook into RSpec to incercept the call of when the example
> group "context" is being executed as an atomic unit?

This is something that rspec doesn't support with a formal API yet,
and until we formalize it this is subject to change. That said, I
think you're looking for the run() method in
Spec::Runner::ExampleGroupRunner.

Let me know if that gets you what you're looking for.
Cca9d2bbe94f3c50fe0a37a4fb3ea397?d=identicon&s=25 Joe Ocampo (Guest)
Thanks David!

I will be sure to let you know our progress.

Joe Ocampo
agilejoe.lostechies.com
Hey Joe - you can actually write your own runner and plug it in from
the command line with --runner. I forgot about this (it's been a long
time since anybody has brought it up).