Forum: Ruby-Gnome 2 Website

4913bcb685792f601ae9813b4713abb9?d=identicon&s=25 Detlef Reichl (Guest)

the website contains much obsolete data.

http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi?linkedmap
only shows an error message

on
http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi?tutorials
the link to rubygarden.org only presents a 404

samples
-------
FAIRmine
after clicking a button in the play field the system load goes up to
100% and remains there
the about dialog can't be closed with the close button

Simple Audio Player
aborts with
player.rb:99:in `initialize': uninitialized constant Gst::Thread
(NameError) from player.rb:407:in `new'
  from player.rb:407

http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi?Status
seems out of date

on
http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi?Links

the link to "gtk2 on cygwin" is dead

the link to "Ruby-GNOME2 RPMS by Vee Satayamas" is dead

"ROX-Ruby - Using Ruby to write programs for the ROX Desktop" has no
activities in the last six years

IMHO all dead links shall be removed. The link to ROX-Ruby should be
removed, because the site has no activities for years.

For the not working samples, the authors shall be connected. If they
won't fix the packages and also no one else will, the packages shall be
removed. It is distracting for a newcomer to play with sample code,
that does not work.

What's worth the application page? It says: Here's a list of
applications using Ruby-GNOME2
If that are _all_ apps which use ruby-gnome (they are not), it's not a
good reputation for ruby-gnome. On the other hand, if we list really all
apps, which use ruby gnome, the page will be useless, because it will
get to big.
So I suggest, to just remove it.

Cheers, detlef

--
http://det.cable.nu
4913bcb685792f601ae9813b4713abb9?d=identicon&s=25 Detlef Reichl (Guest)

Detlef Reichl schrieb:

[very much...]

on addition: what is shown
on http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/googleplot/ ?

I think for statistics a link to
http://sourceforge.net/project/stats/?group_id=536... is
more useful.

Cheers, detlef

--
http://det.cable.nu
E63ceac0a4a9a299a984f4ccc86fc3a4?d=identicon&s=25 Geoff Youngs (Guest)

> Hi,
>
> the website contains much obsolete data.

[snip]

> "ROX-Ruby - Using Ruby to write programs for the ROX Desktop" has no
> activities in the last six years
>

> IMHO all dead links shall be removed. The link to ROX-Ruby should be
> removed, because the site has no activities for years.

Hi,

Yeah - ROX-Ruby has been dead for sometime - it's been a few years
since I even used ROX.

Feel free to remove it.

Thanks,

Geoff.
--
Random Musing - http://www.frafferz.com/
4913bcb685792f601ae9813b4713abb9?d=identicon&s=25 Detlef Reichl (Guest)

I have an other one, on

http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi?Ruby-GN...

a tar-ball of the api documentation is provided. But this got not
updated since march 2008. A tar-ball with the cross referenced
HTML-pages would be useful, because the online reference is sometimes
very slow (at least from here, Germany).

Cheers, detlef

--
http://det.cable.nu
4913bcb685792f601ae9813b4713abb9?d=identicon&s=25 Detlef Reichl (Guest)

so, while we are at it, here is an other one :-)

On the wiki main page, are

ruby-gtk2 package
ruby-gnome2-all package
ruby-gtktrayicon

listed. All this packages doesn't exist. ruby-gtk2 was removed from the
download pages somewhere in 2008, ruby-gnome2-all was renamed to
ruby-gnome2 and ruby-gtktrayicon was removed even from SVN five years
ago.

If no one offends, I will rebuild this page, so that it shows the
provided libs in alphabetically order.

Cheers, detlef

--
http://det.cable.nu
> If no one offends, I will rebuild this page, so that it shows the
> provided libs in alphabetically order.

Sounds nice. :)

In <20090603233431.b5cfb733.detlef.reichl@gmx.org>
  "[ruby-gnome2-devel-en] Website" on Wed, 3 Jun 2009 23:34:31 +0200,
  Detlef Reichl <detlef.reichl@gmx.org> wrote:

> http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi?linkedmap
> only shows an error message

I've disabled it. It takes long time to generate page.

> on
> http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi?tutorials
> the link to rubygarden.org only presents a 404

It should be removed.

> (NameError) from player.rb:407:in `new'
>   from player.rb:407

Is this page?
http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi?Simple+...

We should update it with the current Ruby/GStreamer or
remove it.

> http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi?Status
> seems out of date

Really?

> on
> http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi?Links
>
> the link to "gtk2 on cygwin" is dead
>
> the link to "Ruby-GNOME2 RPMS by Vee Satayamas" is dead

> IMHO all dead links shall be removed.

I agree with you.

> For the not working samples, the authors shall be connected. If they
> won't fix the packages and also no one else will, the packages shall be
> removed. It is distracting for a newcomer to play with sample code,
> that does not work.

I also agree with you.

> What's worth the application page? It says: Here's a list of
> applications using Ruby-GNOME2
> If that are _all_ apps which use ruby-gnome (they are not), it's not a
> good reputation for ruby-gnome. On the other hand, if we list really all
> apps, which use ruby gnome, the page will be useless, because it will
> get to big.
> So I suggest, to just remove it.

Umm, I don't think so.
Guillaume, what do you think about it?

kou

In <20090604162035.50c816f8.detlef.reichl@gmx.org>
  "Re: [ruby-gnome2-devel-en] Website" on Thu, 4 Jun 2009 16:20:35
+0200,
  Detlef Reichl <detlef.reichl@gmx.org> wrote:

> http://ruby-gnome2.sourceforge.jp/hiki.cgi?Ruby-GN...
>
> a tar-ball of the api documentation is provided. But this got not
> updated since march 2008. A tar-ball with the cross referenced
> HTML-pages would be useful, because the online reference is sometimes
> very slow (at least from here, Germany).

I wanted to provide it from repository. But it's not
completed yet. Auto synchronization with Wiki is missing.
  https://ruby-gnome2.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/ru...

kou

In <20090604170244.c202851f.detlef.reichl@gmx.org>
  "Re: [ruby-gnome2-devel-en] Website" on Thu, 4 Jun 2009 17:02:44
+0200,
  Detlef Reichl <detlef.reichl@gmx.org> wrote:

> On the wiki main page, are
>
> ruby-gtk2 package
> ruby-gnome2-all package
> ruby-gtktrayicon
>
> listed. All this packages doesn't exist. ruby-gtk2 was removed from the
> download pages somewhere in 2008, ruby-gnome2-all was renamed to
> ruby-gnome2 and ruby-gtktrayicon was removed even from SVN five years
> ago.

Really?
I can find ruby-gtk2 and ruby-gnome2-all packages in
download page:
  https://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?grou...

ruby-gtktrayicon should be removed.

> If no one offends, I will rebuild this page, so that it shows the
> provided libs in alphabetically order.

Thanks! Please!!!

--
kou
C838db9af1d90a87a828ecad8556b804?d=identicon&s=25 Guillaume Cottenceau (Guest)
> What's worth the application page? It says: Here's a list of
> applications using Ruby-GNOME2
> If that are _all_ apps which use ruby-gnome (they are not), it's not a
> good reputation for ruby-gnome. On the other hand, if we list really all
> apps, which use ruby gnome, the page will be useless, because it will
> get to big.
> So I suggest, to just remove it.

Was my idea, because no rg2 application is wide known at all, so
people, even Ruby people I know IRL, usually think there is really no
rg2 application at all. I have built the page based on contributions
from people reading that list. Someone is free to improve the page if
some "important" rg2 applications are missing. Until then, I still
think (and many people on this list also, since they have all found
the idea good and submitted their application) that this page is
useful so that people do think there are existing rg2 applications,
and also for rg2 application developers to know some sibling
applications and learn/observe/troll other rg2 applications so that
they become better rg2 application developers.

--
Guillaume Cottenceau - http://zarb.org/~gc/