Forum: Ruby on Rails map.resources with both :get and :post on an action

Cabe9e695419a4936d1635756272953b?d=identicon&s=25 deepak (Guest)
hi,
using map.resources i want an action to have both :get and :post http
verbs.

map.resources :tickets,
  :path_prefix => '/workflows,
  :collection => { :pending => [:get, :post],
    :download => :get }

here the pending action responds to post, i think the route was
overwritten.
I can use :any as the HTTP verb but i want the route to be more
explicit.
I am using rails 2.1.1.

when i try to access
'/workflows/tickets/pending' i get a Routing Error.
No route matches "/workflows/tickets/pending" with {:method=>:get}

Please Help

Thanks,
Deepak
E4b13bfed30c0147630dd5dc3d7ad849?d=identicon&s=25 glenn gillen (Guest)
does { :pending => :any} work? Being able to specify multiple discrete
methods was an addition in 2.3 I believe.

Glenn
deepak wrote:
> map.resources :tickets,
>   :path_prefix => '/workflows,
>   :collection => { :pending => [:get, :post],
>     :download => :get }

I'm not sure what you "pending" action does, but you should keep this in
mind:

Excerpt from HTTP 1.1 specification:
------------------------------
7.1.  Safe and Idempotent Methods

7.1.1.  Safe Methods

   Implementors should be aware that the software represents the user in
   their interactions over the Internet, and should be careful to allow
   the user to be aware of any actions they might take which may have an
   unexpected significance to themselves or others.

   In particular, the convention has been established that the GET and
   HEAD methods SHOULD NOT have the significance of taking an action
   other than retrieval.  These methods ought to be considered "safe".
   This allows user agents to represent other methods, such as POST, PUT
   and DELETE, in a special way, so that the user is made aware of the
   fact that a possibly unsafe action is being requested.

   Naturally, it is not possible to ensure that the server does not
   generate side-effects as a result of performing a GET request; in
   fact, some dynamic resources consider that a feature.  The important
   distinction here is that the user did not request the side-effects,
   so therefore cannot be held accountable for them.
{ :pending => :any}  worked but then i had to write.

if request.get?
  # .......
elsif request.post?
  # .......
else
      raise(ActionController::RoutingError,
            "Route #{request.path} is valid for get or post, not for #
{request.method}")
end

I wanted to specify this in the route.rb and make it more
declarative.

How do is specify this using the routes DSL?
Cabe9e695419a4936d1635756272953b?d=identicon&s=25 deepak (Guest)
the 'pending action' shows a list of tickets, we apply some filters on
them like from and to date and other filters.
Then i have to process this ticket, wherein we contact an external
api, some db transactions and generate a csv report.

i would like to POST to the same url to process the tickets as
selected on the GET.
The get request is Idempotent and can be done as many times as needed,
but the POST request is destructive. I am not very good at REST
principles but this is RESTful i believe.

In the older rails scaffolding, if i remember correct, the new and
save action was the same but we GET or POSTed on that action. In
RESTful rails we have a new action with the GET http verb and a save
action with POST, is this more idiomatic rails to have one action with
either GET or POST but not both? Even if it is not the rails way, how
would i express it in rails routes DSL.

Basically, it is a workflow with multiple steps. Tentatively what i
have thought about is that every step is an action. We GET the action
and POST to the same action after which we are redirected to another
action. A better solution or an example of a good piece of code would
be nice.

Thanks

On Jun 4, 8:29 pm, Robert Walker <rails-mailing-l...@andreas-s.net>
A59b0daee5e5570e07a9f976721017e7?d=identicon&s=25 mike (Guest)
You have to specify different actions in your controller for get and
post. Then in routes.rb you can declare the same url to get routed to
either one of these actions depending on the http verb.

2009/6/4, deepak <kannan.deepak@gmail.com>:
> principles but this is RESTful i believe.
> and POST to the same action after which we are redirected to another
>> > map.resources :tickets,
>>
>>    This allows user agents to represent other methods, such as POST, PUT

Von meinen Mobilgerät aus gesendet