Forum: Ruby on Rails Something to pretty up my terminal

E628869c6e960a509a1c26f9dcedae77?d=identicon&s=25 sir ziggles (ziggles)
on 2009-06-02 20:00
Was wondering if there is anything out there that i can use to pretty up
my terminal's output? (linux)

Stuff like migrations and most rake tasks output as just white text on
black.

thanks!
2505b282d57c29be797dc35b245adb4c?d=identicon&s=25 Philip Hallstrom (Guest)
On Jun 2, 2009, at 11:00 AM, sir ziggles wrote:

> Was wondering if there is anything out there that i can use to
> pretty up
> my terminal's output? (linux)
>
> Stuff like migrations and most rake tasks output as just white text on
> black.

Couple of options...

http://pablotron.org/software/wirble/

Install the 'wirble' gem.

In ~/.irbrc add the following:

require 'rubygems'
require 'wirble'
Wirble.init
Wirble.colorize

If you're using capistrano, install the capistrano_colors gem and then
add this to the top of your deploy.rb file:

require 'capistrano_colors'

http://www.pastbedti.me/2008/12/put-some-colors-of...

-philip
68814ed988eee4f21b2cd07353e5e445?d=identicon&s=25 Mk 27 (mk27)
on 2009-06-02 20:23
sir ziggles wrote:
> Was wondering if there is anything out there that i can use to pretty up
> my terminal's output? (linux)
>
> Stuff like migrations and most rake tasks output as just white text on
> black.
>
> thanks!

Myself, I like the classic linux dweeb look: a 100% transparent or
slightly smoky terminal with no window decor added

http://www.intergate.com/~halfcountplus/misc/june2ss.jpg

Actually that one does have window decor, it's an XFCE Terminal I use
with fvwm2.

I think the only terminal that uses tinted transparencies (eg, a nice,
transparent red "ruby" look) is the "aterm", but AFAIK all the common
distro/DE's (gnome, KDE, etc) use a terminal with a transparency option.
You just have to choose your desktop background carefully.  I think most
of them (inc. the XFCE Terminal) will also allow you to use an image
inside the window as the background, potentially a tiled image so you
could make it look like a web page.

Eterm uses shadows with the fonts, which is nice for contrasting with
backgrounds, but Eterm is kind of gimpy IMO.

Play with your toys more.  You can change the text color too silly.  And
remember: IDE's will rot your brain.

--MK
68814ed988eee4f21b2cd07353e5e445?d=identicon&s=25 Mk 27 (mk27)
on 2009-06-02 20:25
Philip Hallstrom wrote:

> If you're using capistrano, install the capistrano_colors gem and then
> add this to the top of your deploy.rb file:
>
> require 'capistrano_colors'

Like that idea.  Add that and you will have to start shielding your
eyes.  The text terminal is your friend.  Do *everything* you can in the
text terminal.  You will learn better and faster, I promise.