Forum: Ruby on Rails Solid, serious tutorials?

C677570ed05851c07157e75f2296c211?d=identicon&s=25 agilehack (Guest)
Guys

I am looking for a solid Rails tutorial to sort of refresh and jump
start me back into rails development.  I was doing it for a while
(small stuff) and then got away for a while.  I would love a fairly
comprehensive tutorial including doing things correctly (like
migrations, using good gems).  Can anyone point me to one?  I have
done most of the basic tutorials already and took a Rails intro
course.

JR
68814ed988eee4f21b2cd07353e5e445?d=identicon&s=25 Mk 27 (mk27)
on 2009-06-02 17:10
agilehack wrote:
> Can anyone point me to one?  I have
> done most of the basic tutorials already and took a Rails intro
> course.
>
> JR

I've spent the last few weeks learning ruby & RonR and I don't think
there is anything beyond these basic tutorials.

I thought this was the most useful one:
http://www.tutorialspoint.com/ruby-on-rails/

but it is as simple as you could get.

Good luck -- maybe someone will fill us in better, vis. on-line
resources.

I have a few books out from the library.  If you are willing to go that
route, I'd recomment "Advanced Rails Recipes" (Clark et. al.) which is a
collection of small projects (74 of them, in catagories) by all kinds of
different people demonstrating various tools and techniques.  If you've
already done the basic tutorials, etc, it shouldn't be hard to read.
2505b282d57c29be797dc35b245adb4c?d=identicon&s=25 Philip Hallstrom (Guest)
> I am looking for a solid Rails tutorial to sort of refresh and jump
> start me back into rails development.  I was doing it for a while
> (small stuff) and then got away for a while.  I would love a fairly
> comprehensive tutorial including doing things correctly (like
> migrations, using good gems).  Can anyone point me to one?  I have
> done most of the basic tutorials already and took a Rails intro
> course.

There's http://guides.rubyonrails.org/  . Not sure how tutorial-like
they are though.

http://rubytrends.com/ is starting to become a good place to see what