Forum: Ruby Games for Programmers

Aee77dba395ece0a04c688b05b07cd63?d=identicon&s=25 Daniel Berger (djberg96)
Hi everyone,

Here's a list of board or card games that are based, more or less, on
computer programming, along with a description. The games range from
obscure to humorous.

Note that I have not played any of these myself, but some of them look
like they might be interesting as teaching tools. A few look like they
might actually be fun. ;)

I'm still waiting for "Ruby: The Board Game". Hey, if Fortran can have
its own game... (see below).

Enjoy!

1. c-jump - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/18731

Discover the fundamentals of computer programming by playing a board
game! c-jump helps children to learn basics of programming languages,
such as C, C++ and Java.

The game teaches basic commands of a programming language, such as "if",
"else", "switch", and introduces variable "x" concept.

Skiers and snowboarders line up at the start location and race along the
ski trails. Spaces on the board show statements of programming language.
First player to move all skiers past the finish line is the winner.

Players calculate number of steps in the move, including addition,
subtraction, division, and multiplication of small numbers. The game
helps to develop understanding of a complete computer program, formed by
logical sequences of commands.

2. Extreme Programming Playing Cards -
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/39054

The game contains a deck of 100 cards. There are Problem, Solution, and
Value cards. Oh, and a Joker card, of course. The intention of these
cards is to help people to understand the methodology behind Extreme
Programming and improve the way they practice XP.

3. Programmer's Nightmare - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/3564

In this game, players take turns laying out program instructions with
"ownership bits" on the cards they play, creating a long line of
interrelating program instructions that become more complicated as the
program builds. Finally, a player will play a RUN card and set the
program running. Who will survive the convolutions of the program?
That's anyone's guess; each player decides if and how their own program
instructions will function!

4. Problems and Programmers -
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/21999

Problems and Programmers is an educational software engineering card
game. Featuring over 120 unique cards, it is intended to simulate the
software development process from conception to completion. The game's
players compete to finish their projects while avoiding the potential
pitfalls of software engineering. These players will quickly learn that
the strategies that will let them win the game are the same that will
help them in the real world.

5. WFF 'N Proof - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/5663

As well as building WFFs (Well Formed Formulas), players must also try
to reach a goal by using rules of inference.

For example: If the goal is 'p', a player could use the 'Ko' (or
Conjunction Out) rule and use 'Kpq' as a premise. In other terms, if the
following sentence is true: "The first games of WFF 'N PROOF are easy
and the last games of WFF 'n PROOF are hard." Then it can be inferred
that the following sentence is true: "The first games of WFF 'N PROOF
are easy."

6. Boolean Rithmomachia - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/37003

This game was inspired by the medieval game Rithmomachy. But whereas in
traditional Rithmomachy the pieces are labeled with natural numbers and
captures are based on arithmetic progressions and geometric ratios, in
Boolean Rithmomachy the pieces have binary nybbles 0000, 0001, ..., 1111
and captures are based on the logical operations AND, OR, XOR, NOT.

For good measure, the board has also been updated from two dimensions to
three.

7. bOOleO - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/40943

bOOleO is a card game which combines strategy card play with the
concepts of Boolean logic. Players must race to resolve an initial
binary number to a single specific bit. This is accomplished through the
use of logical gates.

8. Virus Fight - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/33838

This is a perfect information abstract game with a light theme of
computer programming. Each player builds a small program that then
modifies itself and the other programs on the board, trying to isolate
the instruction marker of the other players so that it's the only
running program in the memory.

9. Management Material IT Edition -
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/7259

Management Material is a card game with a corporate theme where the
players try to win by avoiding being promoted to management. This is
done by playing Excuse cards to avoid the Project cards and passing the
Project to the next player. Other players may also play Recognition
cards on you, which make it more difficult to get out of the project
with an Excuse. Ultimately, some player will end up completing the
Project, and that player adds the card to their completed projects,
pushing them closer to the 30 points necessary to be identified as
Management Material and losing the game. The last player that avoids
being promoted to management wins the game. Event cards provide an
additional randomizing element.

10. Fortran - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/17948

The elements of how a computer program works are learned as players move
through the program, entering values on three different "counters," and
transferring results to their own "printers".

11. Hacker - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1250

This is the computer crime card game inspired by the 1990 Secret Service
raid on Steve Jackson Games. Play is similar to Illuminati except
players play cards as part of the ever-expanding "Net" in the center of
the table instead of having individual card stacks. Players use indials
to break into systems and gain root access. Upgrade your hacking tools,
deal with other hackers for access, phreak others onto your system, etc.
is all part of the game. Avoid ICE and law enforcement raids to gain the
greatest number of root access sites and win the game.

12. Bugs & Looops - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/27706

Players program a simple Turing Machine, also known as a State Machine.
One cube, called the pointer is positioned opposite a line of 7 other
cubes, called the tape. For each state that the pointer/tape is in, a
player writes an instruction changing the state, and moving the pointer.
Points are scored for the number of times the pointer moves, unless the
pointer moves past the end of the tape (a bug) or gets trapped in an
endless cycle of instructions (a loop).

13. Processing - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/41725

You just finished your program, right on time. Now you only need to
process it through the computer and print your report; it’s going to be
a major breakthrough for mankind.
As you go by the hall, you see that strange fellow that works at the
other end of the laboratory, and, of course, you never liked him. As you
walk you realise he is going to the same computer room as you. He also
realises this and, running, you both enter the computer room.
You argue, the lab rat responses, "I was here first!" Just as the
dispute was going backwards in evolution, the technician says the
stupidest thing: "Why don’t we share the computer?"
You agree, but you know that the computer only has 4 slots for 8
computing boards; you intend to be smarter than him and have your
program processed as soon as possible.

Regards,

Dan
On Jun 1, 2009, at 1:27 PM, Daniel Berger wrote:

> Here's a list of board or card games that are based, more or less,
> on computer programming, along with a description. The games range
> from obscure to humorous.

While not strictly programming, RoboRally is easily the favorite of my
programming friends for programming-like fun:

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/18

James Edward Gray II
Fa2521c6539342333de9f42502657e5a?d=identicon&s=25 Eleanor McHugh (Guest)
On 1 Jun 2009, at 20:23, James Gray wrote:
> On Jun 1, 2009, at 1:27 PM, Daniel Berger wrote:
>
>> Here's a list of board or card games that are based, more or less,
>> on computer programming, along with a description. The games range
>> from obscure to humorous.
>
> While not strictly programming, RoboRally is easily the favorite of
> my programming friends for programming-like fun:
>
> http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/18

And a very amusing game to watch a room of drunk non-techies trying to
learn :)

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains
http://slides.games-with-brains.net
----
On Jun 1, 2009, at 3:51 PM, Eleanor McHugh wrote:

>> http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/18
>
> And a very amusing game to watch a room of drunk non-techies trying
> to learn :)

We had a non-geek friend who had so much trouble with right and left
in that game that she tied a piece of foil to her robot's right hand
as a reminder.  I wish I could say it helped.  :)

James Edward Gray II
Aee77dba395ece0a04c688b05b07cd63?d=identicon&s=25 Daniel Berger (djberg96)
> > from obscure to humorous.
>
> While not strictly programming, RoboRally is easily the favorite of my
> programming friends for programming-like fun:
>
> http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/18

Yes, I've played RoboRally. It can be fun, yet aggravating. :)

There are a slew of games that fall into that genre, such as:

1. Ricochet Robots - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/51
2. Droids - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/2337
3. RAMBots - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/15193

Regards,

Dan
E0526a6bf302e77598ef142d91bdd31c?d=identicon&s=25 Daniel DeLorme (Guest)
>>> Here's a list of board or card games that are based, more or less,
>>> on computer programming, along with a description. The games range
>>> from obscure to humorous.

It's not from boardgamegeek.com nor is it a board game, but I found
light-bot to be a great little bundle of fun:
http://armorgames.com/play/2205/light-bot

Daniel
C1b6b5557723c9db912b075e954166d3?d=identicon&s=25 Jeff Moore (djief)
on 2009-06-03 03:21
ansferring results to their own "printers".

> 11. Hacker - http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/1250
>
> This is the computer crime card game inspired by the 1990 Secret Service
> raid on Steve Jackson Games. Play is similar to Illuminati except
> players play cards as part of the ever-expanding "Net" in the center of
> the table instead of having individual card stacks. Players use indials
> to break into systems and gain root access. Upgrade your hacking tools,
> deal with other hackers for access, phreak others onto your system, etc.
> is all part of the game. Avoid ICE and law enforcement raids to gain the
> greatest number of root access sites and win the game.

Just be prepared to be arrested by the Secret Service for possessing
this game.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker_(game)
On Jun 2, 7:21 pm, Jeff Moore <jcmo...@pressenter.com> wrote:
> > to break into systems and gain root access. Upgrade your hacking tools,
> > deal with other hackers for access, phreak others onto your system, etc.
> > is all part of the game. Avoid ICE and law enforcement raids to gain the
> > greatest number of root access sites and win the game.
>
> Just be prepared to be arrested by the Secret Service for possessing
> this game.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker_(game)

Interesting, thanks!

Dan
C1b6b5557723c9db912b075e954166d3?d=identicon&s=25 Jeff Moore (djief)
on 2009-06-03 23:59
Daniel Berger wrote:
> On Jun 2, 7:21�pm, Jeff Moore <jcmo...@pressenter.com> wrote:
>> > to break into systems and gain root access. Upgrade your hacking tools,
>> > deal with other hackers for access, phreak others onto your system, etc.
>> > is all part of the game. Avoid ICE and law enforcement raids to gain the
>> > greatest number of root access sites and win the game.
>>
>> Just be prepared to be arrested by the Secret Service for possessing
>> this game.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hacker_(game)
>
> Interesting, thanks!
>
> Dan

It's pretty amazing really. Both Hacker and the Cyberpunk manual are
Hollywood-grade content. Fun, maybe; amusing, maybe; but not
particularly
useful, reality-based or seditious.

It makes you wonder about competence in certain quarters...

djief
On 3 Jun 2009, at 22:59, Jeff Moore wrote:
> It's pretty amazing really. Both Hacker and the Cyberpunk manual are
> Hollywood-grade content. Fun, maybe; amusing, maybe; but not
> particularly
> useful, reality-based or seditious.

It brings back some fun memories of the late 80s and the hysteria
which built up in the aftermath of the Morris Worm - because hackers
were a heartbeat from launching thermonuclear armageddon, or something
like that lol

> It makes you wonder about competence in certain quarters...

There was a noticeable overlap between the hacker and gaming scenes at
the time so I guess it wasn't entirely dumb-headed of law enforcement
to go snooping, but being clueless noobs they made a real hash of it...

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains
http://slides.games-with-brains.net
----
Aee77dba395ece0a04c688b05b07cd63?d=identicon&s=25 Daniel Berger (djberg96)
> > Interesting, thanks!
> >
> > Dan
>
> It's pretty amazing really. Both Hacker and the Cyberpunk manual are
> Hollywood-grade content. Fun, maybe; amusing, maybe; but not
> particularly
> useful, reality-based or seditious.
>
> It makes you wonder about competence in certain quarters...

Indeed.

The full version of the story can be found at http://www.sjgames.com/SS/

Regards,

Dan
C1b6b5557723c9db912b075e954166d3?d=identicon&s=25 Jeff Moore (djief)
on 2009-06-04 23:14
Daniel Berger wrote:

> The full version of the story can be found at http://www.sjgames.com/SS/
>
> Regards,
>
> Dan

The fact that this 'incident' provided some of the impetus for
the founding of the EFF can only be viewed as proof that the
universe has a wicked sense of humor.

Praise Eris

;-)
On 4 Jun 2009, at 22:14, Jeff Moore wrote:

> Praise Eris

The eschaton is immanent, and it will be televised ;p

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains
http://slides.games-with-brains.net
----
C1b6b5557723c9db912b075e954166d3?d=identicon&s=25 Jeff Moore (djief)
on 2009-06-04 23:55
Eleanor McHugh wrote:
> On 4 Jun 2009, at 22:14, Jeff Moore wrote:
>>
>> Praise Eris
>
> The eschaton is immanent, and it will be televised ;p
>

> Ellie
>
> Eleanor McHugh
> Games With Brains
> http://slides.games-with-brains.net
> ----
> raise ArgumentError unless @reality.responds_to? :reason

I thought it had been re-branded as "The fnord Singularity"

Oh well, so many revisions in the manual lately. Hard to keep up.
On 4 Jun 2009, at 22:55, Jeff Moore wrote:
> Eleanor McHugh wrote:
>> On 4 Jun 2009, at 22:14, Jeff Moore wrote:
>>>
>>> Praise Eris
>>
>> The eschaton is immanent, and it will be televised ;p
>
> I thought it had been re-branded as "The fnord Singularity"
>
> Oh well, so many revisions in the manual lately. Hard to keep up.

I'll see your Vinge and raise you a Tipler...

Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains
http://slides.games-with-brains.net
----
>>> The eschaton is immanent

What a relief! I thought it was imminent...
C1b6b5557723c9db912b075e954166d3?d=identicon&s=25 Jeff Moore (djief)
on 2009-06-05 16:15
Eleanor McHugh wrote:

> I'll see your Vinge and raise you a Tipler...

You know, I'd like to pursue this but I keep stubbing my TOE
on precursor states...

Regards, djief
On 5 Jun 2009, at 15:15, Jeff Moore wrote:
> Eleanor McHugh wrote:
>>
>> I'll see your Vinge and raise you a Tipler...
>>

> You know, I'd like to pursue this but I keep stubbing my TOE
> on precursor states...

ROFLMAO :)