Forum: Ruby death toll

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
22496c6d46f8c35f383012fa87d1bd20?d=identicon&s=25 deka (Guest)
on 2009-05-28 16:02
(Received via mailing list)
Hi, I am a Brazilian girl and I have a doubt abour numbers in English.
I have a book in English where there is a tabel on cumulative civilian
death toll in wars. They put "100s africans, 1000s civil war..." and I
would like to know the meaning of the little "s" after the numbers.
Tanks very much.
Fa2521c6539342333de9f42502657e5a?d=identicon&s=25 Eleanor McHugh (Guest)
on 2009-05-28 16:09
(Received via mailing list)
On 28 May 2009, at 15:01, deka wrote:
> Hi, I am a Brazilian girl and I have a doubt abour numbers in English.
> I have a book in English where there is a tabel on cumulative civilian
> death toll in wars. They put "100s africans, 1000s civil war..." and I
> would like to know the meaning of the little "s" after the numbers.
> Tanks very much.

100s reads as 'hundreds'
1000s reads as 'thousands'


Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains
http://slides.games-with-brains.net
----
raise ArgumentError unless @reality.responds_to? :reason
22496c6d46f8c35f383012fa87d1bd20?d=identicon&s=25 deka (Guest)
on 2009-05-28 16:16
(Received via mailing list)
On 28 maio, 11:09, Eleanor McHugh <elea...@games-with-brains.com>
wrote:
>
> Ellie
>
> Eleanor McHugh
> Games With Brainshttp://slides.games-with-brains.net
> ----
> raise ArgumentError unless @reality.responds_to? :reason

Ellie,
Thank you very much!
9e2504e0b74e5384af09ce8a660afac4?d=identicon&s=25 Pascal J. Bourguignon (Guest)
on 2009-05-28 16:26
(Received via mailing list)
deka <rocha.deka@gmail.com> writes:

> Hi, I am a Brazilian girl and I have a doubt abour numbers in English.
> I have a book in English where there is a table on cumulative civilian
> death toll in wars. They put "100s africans, 1000s civil war..." and I
> would like to know the meaning of the little "s" after the numbers.

Notice that this is very bad typological style to print digits in
these cases.  They should have spelled them out: "hundreds of
africans, thousands of civil wars".



(It could be tolerated for decades, like the 60s or the 70s (the
sixties, the seventies), but this is not "Y2K-compliant", and writting
1960s is not good style either, so even in this case it's better to
spell the numbers out).
Fa2521c6539342333de9f42502657e5a?d=identicon&s=25 Eleanor McHugh (Guest)
on 2009-05-28 16:58
(Received via mailing list)
On 28 May 2009, at 15:25, Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:
> these cases.  They should have spelled them out: "hundreds of
> africans, thousands of civil wars".

In prose yes, but for table headers space considerations are relevant
and I've seen the same approach used in numerous publications.

> (It could be tolerated for decades, like the 60s or the 70s (the
> sixties, the seventies), but this is not "Y2K-compliant", and writting
> 1960s is not good style either, so even in this case it's better to
> spell the numbers out).

I'd say that 1960s would be a much more common occurrence than
nineteen sixties, although 60s and sixties probably are more evenly
distributed in my reading.


Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains
http://slides.games-with-brains.net
----
raise ArgumentError unless @reality.responds_to? :reason
Bec38d63650c8912b6ba9b557fb953b9?d=identicon&s=25 Roger Pack (rogerdpack)
on 2009-05-28 20:23
Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:
> deka <rocha.deka@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Hi, I am a Brazilian girl and I have a doubt abour numbers in English.
>> I have a book in English where there is a table on cumulative civilian
>> death toll in wars. They put "100s africans, 1000s civil war..." and I
>> would like to know the meaning of the little "s" after the numbers.
>
> Notice that this is very bad typological style to print digits in
> these cases.  They should have spelled them out: "hundreds of
> africans, thousands of civil wars".

or at least written them as
100's and 1000's
-=r
Fa2521c6539342333de9f42502657e5a?d=identicon&s=25 Eleanor McHugh (Guest)
on 2009-05-28 20:31
(Received via mailing list)
On 28 May 2009, at 19:23, Roger Pack wrote:
>>
>> Notice that this is very bad typological style to print digits in
>> these cases.  They should have spelled them out: "hundreds of
>> africans, thousands of civil wars".
>
> or at least written them as
> 100's and 1000's

Except that would in principle be 'of the hundred' and 'of the
thousand' as using the numeric form isn't an abbreviation and so an
apostrophe before the s isn't appropriate for pluralisation. It is
however an increasingly widespread usage (thanks to the inability of
many people to use the apostrophe correctly).


Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains
http://slides.games-with-brains.net
----
raise ArgumentError unless @reality.responds_to? :reason
E0d864d9677f3c1482a20152b7cac0e2?d=identicon&s=25 Robert Klemme (Guest)
on 2009-05-28 21:00
(Received via mailing list)
On 28.05.2009 20:30, Eleanor McHugh wrote:
> On 28 May 2009, at 19:23, Roger Pack wrote:
>> Pascal J. Bourguignon wrote:

> many people to use the apostrophe correctly).
The same happens over here in Germany, just the other way round:
although German does not allow for an apostrophe when building a
genitive you can see "Dietmar's Hotel" and like phrases with increasing
frequency where "Dietmars Hotel" would have been correct.  In the end we
will probably all speak some form of "English". :-)

Cheers

  robert
Fa2521c6539342333de9f42502657e5a?d=identicon&s=25 Eleanor McHugh (Guest)
on 2009-05-28 23:09
(Received via mailing list)
On 28 May 2009, at 19:55, Robert Klemme wrote:
>> thousand' as using the numeric form isn't an abbreviation and so
>> an  apostrophe before the s isn't appropriate for pluralisation. It
>> is  however an increasingly widespread usage (thanks to the
>> inability of  many people to use the apostrophe correctly).
>
> The same happens over here in Germany, just the other way round:
> although German does not allow for an apostrophe when building a
> genitive you can see "Dietmar's Hotel" and like phrases with
> increasing frequency where "Dietmars Hotel" would have been
> correct.  In the end we will probably all speak some form of
> "English". :-)

There is a school of thought which believes all punctuation is evil...


Ellie

Eleanor McHugh
Games With Brains
http://slides.games-with-brains.net
----
raise ArgumentError unless @reality.responds_to? :reason
1e736afdcdfe0753d67a81d449aca590?d=identicon&s=25 Srijayanth Sridhar (Guest)
on 2009-05-29 08:12
(Received via mailing list)
Lol, this could quickly spiral into another beat the dead horse session
aka
pythonic indentation. Or was it the other way around?

Jayanth

On Fri, May 29, 2009 at 2:38 AM, Eleanor McHugh <
E0d864d9677f3c1482a20152b7cac0e2?d=identicon&s=25 Robert Klemme (Guest)
on 2009-05-29 08:15
(Received via mailing list)
2009/5/29 Srijayanth Sridhar <srijayanth@gmail.com>:
> Lol, this could quickly spiral into another beat the dead horse session aka
> pythonic indentation. Or was it the other way around?

It was: the dead horse beat Python with its indentation.

robert
Ab870531383eea6e4d9110317f5401e7?d=identicon&s=25 Caleb Clausen (Guest)
on 2009-05-29 15:23
(Received via mailing list)
On 5/28/09, Robert Klemme <shortcutter@googlemail.com> wrote:
> 2009/5/29 Srijayanth Sridhar <srijayanth@gmail.com>:
>> Lol, this could quickly spiral into another beat the dead horse session
>> aka
>> pythonic indentation. Or was it the other way around?
>
> It was: the dead horse beat Python with its indentation.

I thought we were beating a horse to death with a python. I think the
python wasn't too happy about it either.
1e736afdcdfe0753d67a81d449aca590?d=identicon&s=25 Srijayanth Sridhar (Guest)
on 2009-05-29 16:33
(Received via mailing list)
Oh. Is that what caused the indentations to begin with?

Jayanth
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.