Forum: Ruby Ruby version of PHP

06db81f02537377c4bb207cdf8fd18ec?d=identicon&s=25 dave p (Guest)
I am relatively new to Ruby and Rails, but have a lot of experience with
Perl and PHP.  After looking at Rails, I really like Ruby, but find
Rails
to be to restrictive in the way you have to do things.
This article:

http://www.oreillynet.com/ruby/
blog/2007/09/7_reasons_i_switched_back_to_p_1.html

sort explains how I feel, mostly #5.  Maybe I just need to spend more
time learning Rails.

Moving from Perl to PHP was really easy.  PHP seems to be Perl modified
for the web.  What I am thinking of would be a PHP modeled on Ruby the
way PHP is modeled on Perl.  Maybe call it RHP.

Thoughts?
5772c599ccab3081e0fffb1d54f3b6de?d=identicon&s=25 Andrew Timberlake (andrewtimberlake)
On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 2:05 PM, dave p <noone@nowhere.com> wrote:

> Moving from Perl to PHP was really easy.  PHP seems to be Perl modified
> for the web.  What I am thinking of would be a PHP modeled on Ruby the
> way PHP is modeled on Perl.  Maybe call it RHP.
>
> Thoughts?

Rails is not restrictive but it is very opinionated. There is a
difference.
You can get Rails to work around your data your way but then you'd be
better off writing your app with a different framework or directly on
top of Rack (similar to how you would with PHP)
Bottom line, Rails is not the only way to do web development with Ruby.

PS. Ruby has a good number of perlisms of it's own

Andrew Timberlake
http://ramblingsonrails.com

http://MyMvelope.com - The SIMPLE way to manage your savings
6111b4012d1401ca83fdcea6b1d71237?d=identicon&s=25 Antonio Cangiano (Guest)
On Thu, May 28, 2009 at 8:05 AM, dave p <noone@nowhere.com> wrote:

> [...] Moving from Perl to PHP was really easy.  PHP seems to be Perl
> modified
> for the web.  What I am thinking of would be a PHP modeled on Ruby the
> way PHP is modeled on Perl.  Maybe call it RHP.
>
> Thoughts?

Hi Dave,

if Rails doesn't work for you, you can simply opt for Sinatra, Ramaze,
or
any other Ruby web framework that suits you better. You don't even need
framework in fact, you could simply use Ruby "a la PHP", through
ERb/eRuby/Erubis.

Cheers,
Antonio
D1309ef77561e3cdf0ddcab60b244e52?d=identicon&s=25 Mike Stephens (aspirer)
on 2009-05-28 17:31
As Antonio says, the PHP version of Ruby is eruby. No Rails baggage -
just pull down the top, slip it into gear and drive off with the wind in
your hair, where-ever and however the fancy takes you.