Forum: Ruby JRuby 1.3.0RC2 Released

Fd4910a54e436dd1f87dc7dcebaee21f?d=identicon&s=25 Thomas Enebo (Guest)
The JRuby community is pleased to announce the release of JRuby 1.3.0RC2

Homepage: http://www.jruby.org/
Download: http://dist.codehaus.org/jruby/

JRuby 1.3.0RC2 is a release to fix some issues which prevented JRuby
from
working with Google App Engine (GAE/J).  We decided to put out a shorter
release so that users interested in GAE/J could get going without
needing to
build JRuby from scratch.

****Please try your apps against 1.3.0RC2 ASAP and report problems****

Highlights:
- Fixes so that JRuby runs in restricted environments better like GAE/J
- Accessing primitive Java arrays are about 10x faster
- timeout.rb is now ~40% faster
- Method cache performance improvements
- irb works in --1.9 mode now
  - Additional Miscellaneous 1.9 fixes
- rubygems 1.3.3, rake 0.8.7, and rspec 1.2.6 upgrades
- 58 bugs fixed since 1.2.0

JRUBY-3626        Thread Safety issue with JRuby 1.3 RC1 - JRuby
abnormally exit
JRUBY-3625     Multi-threading issue with RegExp
JRUBY-1441     ENV should not be case-sensitive on Windows
JRUBY-3617     Java array support unit tests on are failing on AIX with
JRuby 1.3-dev
JRUBY-3663     Can't build JRuby on last OpenJDK builds (58+) because of
uncorrect Invokdynamic support
JRUBY-3638     Multi-Threading issues with JRuby 1.3RC1 and soap4r
JRUBY-3678     problem with super called from method defined with
define_method
JRUBY-3686     io.fcntl can also accept one-arg version
JRUBY-3509     uninitialized constant when using ResourceController
plugin with Rails 2.2.2
JRUBY-3699     Failure in ruby1.8/uri/test_common
JRUBY-3594     JRuby's instance_exec only accepts up to 3 arguments
JRUBY-3677     Array#pack problem
JRUBY-3633     JRuby 1.3 Fails to Execute Embedded Ruby code in Java
JRUBY-3634     File.read or File.open with a url to a file resource
fails with StringIndexOutOfBounds exception
JRUBY-3621     relative_path_from returns errors for "C:/" and "C:\\"
JRUBY-3536     JRUBY-1441
jruby-complete gem install fails: private method `split' called for
nil:NilClass
JRUBY-3647     Severe performance degradation from
3d9140fafcda9c4fe6b9d5a1fec0ae9822877e03
JRUBY-3659     Running ant spec-short without the proper Git
abbreviations does not break
JRUBY-3661     Incorrect super call site caching with multiple included
modules
JRUBY-3395     RubySpec: ConditionVariable#wait should return self
JRUBY-3658     RubySpec: Range#initialize visibility and arity failures
JRUBY-3396     RubySpec: Queue#num_waiting reports the number of threads
waiting on the Queue
JRUBY-3357     Marshal load and dump rubyspec failures
JRUBY-3644     After sucessfully launching a remotely-debugged
application (using -S rdebug --stop) trying to run it crashes
JRUBY-3649     IllegalArgumentException with --debug and syslog
JRUBY-3671     RubySpec: Time.times is an obsolete method
JRUBY-3388     RubySpec: File.open opens the file when passed mode, num
and permissions
JRUBY-3343     Modify require logic to block when two threads require
the same file at the same time
JRUBY-3585     Syslog has broken on OS X
JRUBY-2518     Dir["some glob"] doesn't work for files inside a jar
JRUBY-3496     MRI tests: test_hash shows bug in delete_if block
argument
JRUBY-3578     ByteList.endsWith fails on empty bytelist
JRUBY-3586     StringIO should support to_inputstream, to_outputstream,
and to_channel just like IO does
JRUBY-3588     Allow rescuing Java Throwables.
JRUBY-1800     Ruby 1.9 Fiber support should leverage the same thread
pool as pooled JRuby threading
JRUBY-3345     Exception backtraces at toplevel appear to be broken
JRUBY-3483     Redirecting $stdout to an object blows up the stack
JRUBY-2900     Add -vm command line argument to pass classpath, etc.
JRUBY-3573     Memory leak when -Djruby.thread.pool.enabled=true
JRUBY-3680     closed stream error when using druby to copy a file
JRUBY-3472     RubySpec: failures in after_each for core/file
JRUBY-3579     Prawn gem nil:NilClass error that doesn't occur in MRI
JRUBY-3498     New failure in MRI's test_time
JRUBY-3679     java.nio.BufferOverflowException on every Kernel.puts
call
JRUBY-3670     RubySpec: A Symbol literal does not contain null in the
string
JRUBY-3683     JRUBY-3670 fix introduces a symbol regression
JRUBY-3596     gems in a jar are not found if the current directory
contains a space
JRUBY-3393     RubySpec: CSV::Reader.parse calls block once for one row
of input
JRUBY-3698     RubyDateFormat.java does ont handle %R specifier in
strftime
JRUBY-3652     IO.popen drops first space between command and first
argument
JRUBY-3632        Jruby deployment missing batch files
JRUBY-3620     JRuby shebang parsing is too simplistic
JRUBY-3572     Support for anonymous callback inside function definition
JRUBY-3650     Please consider allowing jruby -c to take multiple files
as arguments
JRUBY-3660     Dir.pwd correctly displays dirs with unicode characters
in them
JRUBY-2235     Minor regression: Kernel.system('non-existing-file')
produces some output but shouldn't
JRUBY-3615     Fiber.yield crahes if called without arguments
JRUBY-3640     Minor optimizations with Map.entrySet
On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 3:52 PM, Thomas Enebo <Thomas.Enebo@sun.com>
wrote:
> The JRuby community is pleased to announce the release of JRuby 1.3.0RC2
>
> Homepage: http://www.jruby.org/
> Download: http://dist.codehaus.org/jruby/
>
> JRuby 1.3.0RC2 is a release to fix some issues which prevented JRuby from
> working with Google App Engine (GAE/J).  We decided to put out a shorter
> release so that users interested in GAE/J could get going without needing to
> build JRuby from scratch.

Thank you for all your great work on this.   I've finally started to
take the plunge into JRuby (including using FFI), and it has been
awesome so far.  You guys have really come a long way with this!

-greg

PS: To those using Prawn, this release should fix an issue with TTF
font embedding
Ff9e18f0699bf079f1fc91c8d4506438?d=identicon&s=25 James Britt (Guest)
Thomas Enebo wrote:
> The JRuby community is pleased to announce the release of JRuby 1.3.0RC2
>
> Homepage: http://www.jruby.org/
> Download: http://dist.codehaus.org/jruby/
>
> JRuby 1.3.0RC2 is a release to fix some issues which prevented JRuby from
> working with Google App Engine (GAE/J).  We decided to put out a shorter
> release so that users interested in GAE/J could get going without
> needing to
> build JRuby from scratch.

Sweet.  Thanks for all the time and effort.

James

www.neurogami.com            - Smart application development