Forum: JRuby Mockups for JRuby.org redesign

1ed56a3c8445bfafc7a545d9a63175ce?d=identicon&s=25 Ted Han (Guest)
Hey folks,

Mark Nutter has graciously put together some mockups for a new JRuby
site.
They're well worth checking out.

http://area-studios.com/mockups/jruby_mockup_0.1.png
http://area-studios.com/mockups/jruby_mockup_0.2.png

There was some impromptu discussion in #jruby a few hours prior to this
email, and he's interested in more feedback.

What do you think?

In particular what pieces of information (links and the like) do you
find
useful?  And at the risk of design by committee, what links would be
useful
on the front page?

Cheers,

-Ted Han (knowtheory)
Ba2f834cba243e6d678c06626d544918?d=identicon&s=25 Vladimir Sizikov (Guest)
Whoa! Really nice looking mockups, that's for sure. I especially liked
#1 option, it gives the JRuby main page a modern, sleek look, and is
very functional too. Really well done!

Thanks,
 --Vladimir

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 8:32 AM, Ted Han <ted@knowtheory.net> wrote:

> What do you think?
>
> In particular what pieces of information (links and the like) do you find
> useful?  And at the risk of design by committee, what links would be useful
> on the front page?
>
> Cheers,
>
> -Ted Han (knowtheory)

Wow, those look good. My 2 cents:

In the .1 (white) version:
- I love the big headings and large overall text. The 'background' looks
great too
- I don't see how the Features, Download, Install and Contribute links
would
work at that location, the 'Install' link will require a much larger
area
than the features box in the mockup. Better to stick to navigation on
the
top to avoid confusion.

About the .2 (red) version:
- The red is very in your face, but I like it :)
- I don't think this site can handle much content, seeing as how there
are
only four items in the menu. But if there's noone to maintain the site
that's fine of course.
- Also the golden thingy is a bit odd (both in color and font)

I'd prefer the white one.

Regards,

Martijn

Martijn S wrote:
> About the .2 (red) version:
> - The red is very in your face, but I like it :)
> - I don't think this site can handle much content, seeing as how there are
> only four items in the menu. But if there's noone to maintain the site
> that's fine of course.
> - Also the golden thingy is a bit odd (both in color and font)
>
> I'd prefer the white one.

An important thing to remember is that as we look at a redesign, we
really just want a few specific templates we can build off. The content
will come from devs, users, and so on. I can see at least the following
set of pages we'd want to have:

* Landing page, with clean look, large important buttons for downloads,
contribute/dev, communicate/MLs/IRC, and documentation
* Download page that lists and describes current and past releases, with
easy, clear links to binaries
* Contribute/dev page with links to scm, nightly builds, bug tracker,
etc
* Communications page with ML info, wiki info, IRC info, and direct
email or email form or IM for "I don't get it" queries
* Documentation, including things like links to walkthroughs,
screencasts, and howtos, lists of common native extensions and
equivalents on JRuby, FAQs neatly organized and searchable, and API docs
for JRuby, JRuby-specific Ruby APIs, and a collection of design, impl,
and arch docs

All this information exists, but has never been pulled together in a
nice clean site before. It's time we did it, I think :)

- Charlie

Ted Han said:

> What do you think?
>
> In particular what pieces of information (links and the like) do you
> find useful?  And at the risk of design by committee, what links would
> be useful on the front page?

Nice. #1 for me.

Essential links, imo: Download and Install (HowTo).

And make the download and install simple for those discovering the site.

I like the links you have on there. I wouldn't change a thing.

--
Best,
Marc

"Change requires small steps."

These both look good, but #2 is hawt!

Logan Barnett
logustus@gmail.com
http://www.logustus.com
A0c079a7c3c9b2cf0bffebd84dc578b0?d=identicon&s=25 Chuck Remes (cremes)

#1 looks great. It has all the stuff I care about across the top of
the page so I don't have to hunt for it (or squint for tiny text along
the margin).

I also prefer high contrast designs like #1.

cr
78c939ec0390fe89d78cdbf85e8e6856?d=identicon&s=25 Rich Manalang (Guest)
+1 for #1
7b8e1744137ecbad51b24ab2d169779b?d=identicon&s=25 Sergio Arbeo (Guest)
+1 for #1 too.

Serabe

--
http://sergio.arbeo.net
http://www.serabe.com

Heh,

well at this point i feel a bit obligated to stand up for design #2! :)
Def
my preference of the two.

-knowtheory
Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:
> * Communications page with ML info, wiki info, IRC info, and direct
> email or email form or IM for "I don't get it" queries
> * Documentation, including things like links to walkthroughs,
> screencasts, and howtos, lists of common native extensions and
> equivalents on JRuby, FAQs neatly organized and searchable, and API docs
> for JRuby, JRuby-specific Ruby APIs, and a collection of design, impl,
> and arch docs
>
> All this information exists, but has never been pulled together in a
> nice clean site before. It's time we did it, I think :)

A few more ideas from the twitterverse:

* REPL applet to let people try JRuby for themselves (I like this one a
lot)
* Lots of Java integration examples
* Something like isitruby19 for JRuby, so people know which gems are
jruby-ready and which ones have replacements

- Charlie

my vote is on #1

Easier on the eyes, the red in #2 is a bit much for me. Nice and
easily scannable top navigation. I really like the top right box for
downloading current stable version (please make it a direct link to
the bin tarball. http://www.plexapp.com does this too, in a very nice
and super easy way to do the most common task you ever do when you go
to the site.

Albert

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 8:32 AM, Ted Han <ted@knowtheory.net> wrote:

> What do you think?
>
> In particular what pieces of information (links and the like) do you find
> useful?  And at the risk of design by committee, what links would be useful
> on the front page?
>
> Cheers,
>
> -Ted Han (knowtheory)

Both look fantastic, but I like #2 because of the big obvious links at
the top.  I hate arriving at a project site and then digging around
for 10 minutes to find the download section.

David Koontz
Mark posted some updated designs, based on the most-liked features from
both 0.1 and 0.2 below. The first one would be the main landing page,
and the second one would be the base design for all content pages in the
site:

http://area-studios.com/mockups/jruby_mockup_0.2.png
http://area-studios.com/mockups/jruby_mockup_0.21.png

I like 0.2 as a landing page because it's a real attention-grabber, and
I think the 0.21 design addresses the readability/color/contrast issues
a lot of people didn't like about 0.2 as a content-page design.

Thoughts?

Ted Han wrote:

> What do you think?
>
> In particular what pieces of information (links and the like) do you
> find useful?  And at the risk of design by committee, what links would
> be useful on the front page?
>
> Cheers,
>
> -Ted Han (knowtheory)

I like big links/buttons in 0.2. The color and feel of it is really
nice as well. The 3 step installation is also really sweet.

Logan Barnett
logustus@gmail.com
http://www.logustus.com

On May 27, 2009, at 10:10 AM, Charles Oliver Nutter wrote:

> issues a lot of people didn't like about 0.2 as a content-page design.
>
> Thoughts?

Very good! Go for it.

--
Luiz Fernando Signorelli

On Wed, May 27, 2009 at 2:10 PM, Charles Oliver Nutter <
Bf512c651c47ac6421e41f93dc19c726?d=identicon&s=25 Josh Moore (Guest)
I would say number one to.  It looks like it gives easy access to
everything
you need.
Josh

2009/5/26 Ted Han <ted@knowtheory.net>
E2bbe31fb94e92f5f404c5cb550c371f?d=identicon&s=25 David Koontz (Guest)
I also really like the .2 / .21 combo.  The three step install process
+ the download link in the corner == 30 second install time for new
users.  Woot!

David Koontz