Forum: GNU Radio usrp overheat?

801597456984c09300eb59c50081fe98?d=identicon&s=25 Woody Dickson (Guest)

Does anyone know how long can USRP stay up?  Can it be run for days?
Is there any risk of it getting overheat since the surface of the
board does seem to be quite hot during normal operation?

When it is not connected to the USB, but the power is still on, does
it automatically go back to low power mode?

Thanks,
Woody
C95d4135a6fd5a14a3cdbe7430a26b00?d=identicon&s=25 Andrew Lutomirski (Guest)
I've left a bunch of USRPs running (i.e. actually collecting samples)
for days in a hot room with no problems at all.

--Andy
558c40b97bd1af8d912424757714bda9?d=identicon&s=25 Marcus D. Leech (Guest)
Andrew Lutomirski wrote:
> I've left a bunch of USRPs running (i.e. actually collecting samples)
> for days in a hot room with no problems at all.
>
> --Andy

Me, too.  Weeks at a time!

--
Marcus Leech
Principal Investigator, Shirleys Bay Radio Astronomy Consortium
Woody Dickson wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Does anyone know how long can USRP stay up?  Can it be run for days?
> Is there any risk of it getting overheat since the surface of the
> board does seem to be quite hot during normal operation?
>
> When it is not connected to the USB, but the power is still on, does
> it automatically go back to low power mode?

When the top is put on the enclosure and the fan is running, the USRP
will actually stay cooler than when left open.  The enclosure is
designed to direct airflow over the board.

The same goes for the USRP2, BTW.  The entire board will be cooler if
the cover is on.

In any case, the systems can run continuously either closed or open
without any trouble.

Matt