Forum: NGINX nginx-0.7.59

5640e332954fc0006aea97a155ce0afd?d=identicon&s=25 Igor Sysoev (Guest)
Changes with nginx 0.7.59                                        25 May
2009

    *) Feature: the "proxy_cache_methods" and "fastcgi_cache_methods"
       directives.

    *) Bugfix: socket leak; the bug had appeared in 0.7.25.
       Thanks to Maxim Dounin.

    *) Bugfix: a segmentation fault occurred in worker process,
       if a request had no body and the $request_body variable was used;
       the bug had appeared in 0.7.58.

    *) Bugfix: the SSL modules might not built on Solaris and Linux;
       the bug had appeared in 0.7.58.

    *) Bugfix: ngx_http_xslt_filter_module responses were not handled by
       SSI, charset, and gzip filters.

    *) Bugfix: a "charset" directive did not set a charset to
       ngx_http_gzip_static_module responses.

The 0.7.x version status is changed to stable.
While 0.7.x version development the following features appreared:

    *) caching of proxied and FastCGI servers;
    *) "try_files" directive;
    *) the "location" and "server_name" directives support captures
       in regular expressions;
    *) XLST and image filters;
    *) a preliminary IPv6 support;
    *) nginx/Windows.
Fda08117336cfde6562315df04b976e8?d=identicon&s=25 Dave Cheney (Guest)
Congratulations on reaching the 0.7.x stable milestone. Thanks again
for your continuing efforts to make Nginx an outstanding web server.

Cheers

Dave
6d4a6e9574c15d11480db6d7e5eb2750?d=identicon&s=25 Delta Yeh (Guest)
Great news! Thank u for the hard works.
What's your plan for 0.8.x ?

2009/5/25 Igor Sysoev <is@rambler-co.ru>
7298531b208ee3b11ca67c735ee63dd8?d=identicon&s=25 Floren Munteanu (Guest)
Hi Igor,

May
> 2009
>
>     *) Feature: the "proxy_cache_methods" and "fastcgi_cache_methods"
>        directives.

I cannot find into Russian documentation an example of those directives.
Thanks for posting a link.

Floren
On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 02:08:50PM -0400, Floren Munteanu wrote:

> May
> > 2009
> >
> >     *) Feature: the "proxy_cache_methods" and "fastcgi_cache_methods"
> >        directives.
>
> I cannot find into Russian documentation an example of those directives.
> Thanks for posting a link.

There is still no Russian documentation of these directives.
These directives allows to cache POST methods.

Syntax:
proxy_cache_methods [GET HEAD POST];

Default:
proxy_cache_methods GET HEAD;

GET/HEAD is syntax sugar, i.e. you can not disable GET/HEAD even
if you set just

proxy_cache_methods POST;
7298531b208ee3b11ca67c735ee63dd8?d=identicon&s=25 Floren Munteanu (Guest)
Hi Igor,

> Syntax:
> proxy_cache_methods [GET HEAD POST];
>
> Default:
> proxy_cache_methods GET HEAD;
>
> GET/HEAD is syntax sugar, i.e. you can not disable GET/HEAD even
> if you set just
>
> proxy_cache_methods POST;

Thanks for the info.

Regards,

Floren Munteanu
Axivo Inc.
Ef5effe1ff64e4ab2c0bb98137e99d3c?d=identicon&s=25 Resicow (Guest)
Hi Igor,

Currently I am using proxy_cache, but have a question on how nginx
handles range requests for a file that is not currently in cache. Will
nginx simply proxy the file and not cache it, or download the entire
file into cache, but just serve the range request to the client.

Congrats on 0.7.59, and keep up the great work!

Thanks,

John
Ab2425ae0425be8faaf052cce737b243?d=identicon&s=25 Michał Jaszczyk (Guest)
Hey,

Could you say something more about the socket leak? When exactly does it
occur?

Regards,

Mike
On Mon, May 25, 2009 at 05:18:25PM -0500, Resicow wrote:

> Hi Igor,
>
> Currently I am using proxy_cache, but have a question on how nginx
> handles range requests for a file that is not currently in cache. Will
> nginx simply proxy the file and not cache it, or download the entire
> file into cache, but just serve the range request to the client.

nginx gets the entire file and returns the range to the client.
There is issue with multiple ranges in one request (although this is
rare case, as I know only Acrobat Reader does such requests).
For the first request when response would be cached, nginx is able
to serve only first range of the request. But with already cached
response
nginx is able to serve all ranges of the request.
Hello!

On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 11:05:58AM +0200, Michał Jaszczyk wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Could you say something more about the socket leak? When exactly does it occur?

Here description of patch I've posted a while ago (on russian
mailing list, but there was at least link in english list as well):

[cut here]
Fix connection leak under some specific conditions.

Return code of ngx_http_output_filter() wasn't correctly checked in
ngx_http_writer() function.  This resulted in incorrect processing of
connections closed prematurely by clients - these connections were
sometimes
closed due to timeouts (and hence higher numbers of 'Writing'
connections
were observed in stub_status module compared to previous versions), and
sometimes permanently leaked.

Since the issue is racy it's hard to reproduce it without accept filters
used.   Though it's relatively easy too with

    listen ... accept_filter=httpready;
    sendfile_max_chunk  16k;

by requesting big file and closing client connection immediately.

The bug had appeared in 0.7.25.
[cut here]

I belive it can be also reproduced with limit_rate used, but I've
never checked.

Maxim Dounin
On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 11:05:58AM +0200, Micha?? Jaszczyk wrote:

> Hey,
>
> Could you say something more about the socket leak? When exactly does it occur?

See English comment in
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.web.nginx.russian/24085
Bb5a8d703dc867735a8f251efb4fdbda?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Baudino (Guest)
Igor Sysoev wrote:
>        the bug had appeared in 0.7.58.

Hi Igor,

Congrats for the stable status.
Does it mean this version will make its way into Debian stable (lenny)
repositories soon ?
Or is this the maintener's (Jose Parrella & Fabio Tranchitella) choice ?
On Tue, May 26, 2009 at 02:20:23PM +0200, Michael Baudino wrote:

> >        if a request had no body and the $request_body variable was used;
> >
> >     *) nginx/Windows.
> >

> Hi Igor,
>
> Congrats for the stable status.
> Does it mean this version will make its way into Debian stable (lenny)
> repositories soon ?
> Or is this the maintener's (Jose Parrella & Fabio Tranchitella) choice ?

This is maintener's choice.
F313759cff2d35cdc3b2cebdae638c6b?d=identicon&s=25 Sergio Talens-Oliag (Guest)
El Tue, May 26, 2009 at 02:20:23PM +0200, Michael Baudino va escriure:
> Congrats for the stable status.
> Does it mean this version will make its way into Debian stable (lenny)
> repositories soon ?
> Or is this the maintener's (Jose Parrella & Fabio Tranchitella) choice ?

Unless something really strange happens it will never go into the
official
Debian Lenny repositories.

On stable Debian releases packages are only updated for security or
grave
functionality bugs and the norm is to update the package version
backporting
the changes (i.e. if the Lenny nginx package is 0.6.32-3 and a security
bug is
found and fixed on upstream version 0.6.38 the debian security update
will be
based on upstream 0.6.32 with the security fix taken from the upstream
0.6.38
version, but without the rest of changes done upstream).

The idea behind this policy is that stable means stable and there should
not
be ABI, API or functionality changes on stable Debian releases if
possible to
avoid new bugs and/or regressions.

Anyway that does not mean that you can't install newer version of nginx
on
Debian Lenny, it just means that you have to do extra work and know what
you
are doing.

If you don't plan to maintain your own packages the most common option
is to
use http://backports.org/, a service run by Debian Developers that
provides
newer versions of some packages recompiled for the stable distribution.

As for nginx, you can see the list of available nginx packages on:

  http://packages.debian.org/nginx

If you want to have the latest version the way to go is:

- report a wishlist bug asking the maintainers to upload the new version
  unstable if there is none,

- once the package is available on testing/unstable ask someone to
upload it
  to backports (the official maintainers are a good option, as they only
need
  to recompile and upload their own package)

Probably it seems that you need to do a lot of things, but the truth is
that
a lot of times when you want updates of server programs like nginx you
find
them on backports without doing anything... but you can always help to
make it
happen faster... ;)

Greetings,

  Sergio.
2974d09ac2541e892966b762aad84943?d=identicon&s=25 Wicked (Guest)
Hello,

its my first time with nginx, but i love this small fast and great
webserver.. big respect to you igor.. :)

but i have a question how i upgrade to the new version?.. i have a
debian lenny...

thanks in advance

Posted at Nginx Forum:
2974d09ac2541e892966b762aad84943?d=identicon&s=25 fei (Guest)
Wicked Wrote:
> Hello,
>
> its my first time with nginx, but i love this
> small fast and great webserver.. big respect to
> you igor.. :)
>
> but i have a question how i upgrade to the new
> version?.. i have a debian lenny...
>
> thanks in advance
.....configure/make/make install ....haha.

Posted at Nginx Forum:
2974d09ac2541e892966b762aad84943?d=identicon&s=25 Wicked (Guest)
Ok thanks :P

Posted at Nginx Forum: