Forum: Ruby Installation noob

8e1a5dde44af52f59c3c776d566bdf53?d=identicon&s=25 Eric Stevens (ironmnky)
on 2009-05-25 09:32
Hi all,
   I am attempting to get ruby and some gems up and working but am a
total noob to ruby.
    First could someone clear up these basic questions:
          when using the "gem update --system" "gem install watir" the
command line says gem is not recognized as an internal or external
command???
          where do I navigate to before I type that command?
and       to scrape an ajax web site (which is what I want to do) is
firewatir the gem I need?
 Thx in advance... more questions to come
Eric Stevens wrote:
> command line says gem is not recognized as an internal or external
> command???
>           where do I navigate to before I type that command?

You don't have rubygems installed - so you need to install it. The best
way to do that depends on what platform you are on. (Windows? OSX?
Linux? Which version?)

For example: Ubuntu Linux normally would be "sudo apt-get install
rubygems"
03346f950a31a8894c855a707b993379?d=identicon&s=25 Janos Sebok (Guest)
The error messages implies you are using Windows.

Perhaps you don't have the Ruby/bin dir (where the gem executable is) in
your PATH environment variable?