Forum: JRuby Using RCov with JRuby

1f25c17c9d8f45717dab4be5796c0b4f?d=identicon&s=25 Menno Jonkers (Guest)

To begin with, congratulations and thanks to all those involved in
getting JRuby in its current state. It's amazing how much you have
achieved in just a few years. Hats off.

I'm trying to get Rcov running in conjunction with my JRuby based specs.
 The instructions on the JRuby wiki [1] are very clear, but fail me at
this step:

  jruby -S rake gem

with a

  rake aborted!
  Don't know how to build task 'gem'

Probably some simple setup issue. Any hints are welcome.

Menno

[1] http://kenai.com/projects/jruby/pages/RCov

Hi.

On May 23, 2009, at 9:25 AM, Menno Jonkers wrote:

> [1] http://kenai.com/projects/jruby/pages/RCov

I don't know why the rake task is not there, but you can use gem
directly against gemspec:

$ jruby -S gem build rcov.gemspec
JRuby limited openssl loaded. gem install jruby-openssl for full
support.
http://wiki.jruby.org/wiki/JRuby_Builtin_OpenSSL
WARNING:  no rubyforge_project specified
   Successfully built RubyGem
   Name: rcov
   Version: 0.8.2.1
   File: rcov-0.8.2.1.gem

Hirotsugu Asari wrote:

> I don't know why the rake task is not there, but you can use gem
> directly against gemspec:
> [...]

That did it! Thanks a lot.

Menno

Menno Jonkers wrote:
> Hirotsugu Asari wrote:
>
>> I don't know why the rake task is not there, but you can use gem
>> directly against gemspec:
>> [...]
>
> That did it! Thanks a lot.

FWIW, if you want to run the jruby fork of RCov, you can just:

gem install --source http://gems.github.com jruby-rcov

We're hoping to keep that a maintained version into the future.

- Charlie