Forum: NGINX how to track down an nginx crash

D0a98f6304ff122ac9b487ff8275d8bb?d=identicon&s=25 Payam Chychi (Guest)
Hey guys,

Nginx crashed 2 times on 2 of my proxy servers... no errors in logs
and i cant figure out why the crash took place. I do see from my rrd
files that there was about 20mbps of http traffic going to the box at
the time of the crash...

any ideas?
Thanks,
F5a6ed477b109fe6acc11a5a8f87e7e8?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Shadle (Guest)
all i can say is... wow.

nginx has never crashed on me. congrats? :)

i would provide your version info, that might help first off.
D0a98f6304ff122ac9b487ff8275d8bb?d=identicon&s=25 Payam Chychi (Guest)
On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 1:39 PM, Michael Shadle <mike503@gmail.com>
wrote:
>> and i cant figure out why the crash took place. I do see from my rrd

nginx/0.7.54  with SSL
F5a6ed477b109fe6acc11a5a8f87e7e8?d=identicon&s=25 Michael Shadle (Guest)
Igor would probably ask at this point for a debug log.

If this continues to happen I would compile nginx --with-debug and
have a way to log when it crashes if you can. You can limit who
triggers debugging by IP too by using debug_connection, otherwise you
will have immensely large logfiles, but at least you'd possibly be
able to track down the event and have the info Igor would probably be
able to pick apart.
D0a98f6304ff122ac9b487ff8275d8bb?d=identicon&s=25 Payam Chychi (Guest)
On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 4:17 PM, Michael Shadle <mike503@gmail.com>
wrote:

>> nginx/0.7.54  with SSL

Great advice, ill setup the debugging tonight as im sure the issue
will return in time. I am using nginx as a part of ddos mitigation
system so it really pushes all resources to the limit :)

Thanks again
5640e332954fc0006aea97a155ce0afd?d=identicon&s=25 Igor Sysoev (Guest)
On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 01:20:16PM -0700, Payam Chychi wrote:

> Hey guys,
>
> Nginx crashed 2 times on 2 of my proxy servers... no errors in logs
> and i cant figure out why the crash took place. I do see from my rrd
> files that there was about 20mbps of http traffic going to the box at
> the time of the crash...

What do mean by the crash ? If nginx exists on single there is a alert
message in error_log.
2009/5/22 Igor Sysoev <is@rambler-co.ru>:
> message in error_log.
>

> --
> Igor Sysoev
> http://sysoev.ru/en/

Hey Igor,

Nginx process crashed without leaving any traces in the system logs or
error.log
Im going to rebuild with debug in there but I still an more sure why
it crashed (2 different boxes... both nginx crashed under 20mbps of
load / 8k-10k request/sec while the other 8 boxes did not)

Unfortunately I have not had much time to resume troubleshooting but
hope to start again in a few days