Forum: Ruby on Rails PP + Multiple rails apps...

54926dd0eeb29e2d1f75d74e401ff576?d=identicon&s=25 p_W (Guest)
I am a RoR beginner and thought I'd give it a try by using rails to
write some 'in-house' apps...for my house.  I have a webserver in my
apt. that I just run as a kind of 'intranet' and have apps on it that
help us with house-hold things.

My question is whether I can run multiple rails apps on Phusion
Passenger without having to set up different subdomains for each
one...if so, where is the document root? The top level app directory?
The public folder?
Ebd7fc2f6153dc470379988b899d87ed?d=identicon&s=25 Baz (Guest)
You can easily setup as many apps as u want, u can do this by
configuring your apache server with virtual hosts in you apache server
config file and add the relevent host names in your hosts config file.

cheers
96146b7a23174e2e024c06a49f845bb8?d=identicon&s=25 Jeffrey L. Taylor (Guest)
Quoting p_W <paulwoolcock83@gmail.com>:

> I am a RoR beginner and thought I'd give it a try by using rails to
> write some 'in-house' apps...for my house.  I have a webserver in my
> apt. that I just run as a kind of 'intranet' and have apps on it that
> help us with house-hold things.
>
> My question is whether I can run multiple rails apps on Phusion
> Passenger without having to set up different subdomains for each
> one...if so, where is the document root? The top level app directory?
> The public folder?

You can use name based virtual hosts with Apache and Phusion Passenger.
The
details are explained at the URL below.  Unfortunately, the author
didn't
proof his/her work by looking at the blog and the HTML isn't proper
escaped or
unescaped.  E.g.  displays

<code class='apache'>NameVirtualHost *
&lt;VirtualHost *:80&gt;
    DocumentRoot /Users/wynn/projects/mindbites/public

should read

<VirtualHost *:80>
  DocumentRoot /Users/wynn/projects/mindbites/public

with the CSS style 'apache' applied.  But once you decipher the mix, it
is
helpful.  I have two home-grown Rails apps (Amethyst and TagFlow) and
Nagios
(a system monitoring app) running on the same Apache server.  The URLs
are:

http://amethyst.local/
http://tagflow.local/
http://127.0.0.1/nagios

The /etc/hosts file contains:

127.0.0.1  tagflow.local
127.0.0.1  amethyst.local

HTTP 1.1 can handle different domains that resolve to the same IP
address and
treat them as separate sites.

HTH,
  Jeffrey