Forum: Ruby on Rails beginner question

8256b90f02902341ef2611eb8eea2a31?d=identicon&s=25 Calvin (Guest)
Hello,

I am using rails 1.2.3 that came with my mac Xcode installation. If I
update rails with:

sudo gem update rails

will the latest version of rails cause a conflict with Xcode?

Thanks for your time,

Calvin
On May 20, 9:39 pm, Calvin <cstephe...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am using rails 1.2.3 that came with my mac Xcode installation. If I
> update rails with:
>
> sudo gem update rails
>
> will the latest version of rails cause a conflict with Xcode?

Don't think xcode does anything with rails at all

Fred
8256b90f02902341ef2611eb8eea2a31?d=identicon&s=25 Calvin (Guest)
Thank you for that information Fred!

On May 21, 1:38 am, Frederick Cheung <frederick.che...@gmail.com>
Frederick Cheung wrote:
> Don't think xcode does anything with rails at all

I'm pretty sure you're correct Fred. Installing the developer tools
(including Xcode) also install Ruby and Rails, along with other useful
developer related things like gcc, cvs, Subversion, etc. But, other than
that Xcode itself doesn't interact with Rails.

I do have a couple of recommendations though. Before you do anything
else with updating, first update Rubygems with:

sudo gem update --system

Then your should be safe to go ahead and update any gems you like,
including Rails.

I'm not sure if this matters, but I don't really use the gem update
command, other than to update Rubygems itself. Instead I just use the
gem install command to install updated versions:

sudo gem install rails