Forum: Ruby GUI

GUI
D86fa36be14b8e44c31d8f2454e9e237?d=identicon&s=25 willcosgrove (Guest)
What is the best way to make a simple GUI with ruby for Windows?  I've
been using shoes ( http://shoooes.net ) but I was wondering if there
was another way?  Or is this how most people make a GUI with ruby?
Fd22ee3cfc7dac283ce8e451af324f7d?d=identicon&s=25 Chad Perrin (Guest)
On Wed, May 13, 2009 at 03:20:09AM +0900, willcosgrove wrote:
> What is the best way to make a simple GUI with ruby for Windows?  I've
> been using shoes ( http://shoooes.net ) but I was wondering if there
> was another way?  Or is this how most people make a GUI with ruby?

There are other ways, such as using FXRuby, wxRuby, Ruby/Tk, and
Ruby/GTK.
Ae16cb4f6d78e485b04ce1e821592ae5?d=identicon&s=25 Martin DeMello (Guest)
On Tue, May 12, 2009 at 11:50 PM, willcosgrove <jesusfreak210@gmail.com>
wrote:
> What is the best way to make a simple GUI with ruby for Windows?  I've
> been using shoes ( http://shoooes.net ) but I was wondering if there
> was another way?  Or is this how most people make a GUI with ruby?

There are lots of choices, but in my biased opinion you're unlikely to
find a better one than shoes, especially for a simple GUI

martin
3b6402ca2b31c9e6846eb36ca3df7ce5?d=identicon&s=25 Olivier Lolveley (lolveley)
if you speak french, you could have a look here :
http://www.bawet.org/article.php3?id_article=60, or search similar
sites.

lolveley.

willcosgrove wrote:
> What is the best way to make a simple GUI with ruby for Windows?  I've
> been using shoes ( http://shoooes.net ) but I was wondering if there
> was another way?  Or is this how most people make a GUI with ruby?

It's not how *most* people do it, though it's a popular tool. See here
for a recent picture of what people are actually using:

http://www.pressure.to/ruby_gui_survey/

If you're pretty sure your needs are simple enough to be met by Shoes,
it's likely a good choice. Other popular toolkits (eg GNOME2, wxRuby)
offer a lot more flexibility, but with more complexity.

alex
Ea3084bf9444c7d0cd0c640ca0ac93b3?d=identicon&s=25 Logan Barnett (Guest)
Shoes is a neat tool, but not for making lots of buttony apps with
reusable widgets and complex layouts.

Take a look at Monkeybars (http://monkeybars.rubyforge.org/). You can
use a drag and drop designer to layout your app. We have an active
mailing list and the code is very stable. We also have distribution
covered well with Rawr so you can make a .exe to give to your users.
Monkeybars has been used for paid projects as well, and it's very easy
(and usually automatic) that it obfuscates your code, so if you want
to make a product that's hard to reverse engineer, it's a very good
route to go.

Logan Barnett
logustus@gmail.com
http://www.logustus.com
2e1c37697597a5db4674c49ea2fdc921?d=identicon&s=25 Reth11 (Guest)
On May 12, 1:19 pm, willcosgrove <jesusfreak...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What is the best way to make a simple GUI with ruby for Windows?  I've
> been using shoes (http://shoooes.net) but I was wondering if there
> was another way?  Or is this how most people make a GUI with ruby?

I looked at Shoes and was not impressed. I found wxRuby, using XML
provided by Diaglog block to be awsome.