Forum: Ruby on Rails does somebody use XCode on Mac for RoR instead of TextMate?

389102eb1ab4abf162c1cd1f7b147d5a?d=identicon&s=25 Jian Lin (jianlin)
on 2009-05-09 09:55
does somebody use XCode on Mac for RoR instead of TextMate?  I wonder
how is it compared to TextMate...  TextMate uses the default font of
Monaco...  the Xcode screenshot on Wikipedia uses Courier... I wonder if
Xcode looks as good as TextMate when the font is changed to Monaco as
well?  Thank you.
Jian Lin wrote:
> does somebody use XCode on Mac for RoR instead of TextMate?

I've tried it, and it's OK, but you might be better off with jEdit or
KomodoEdit.

> I wonder
> how is it compared to TextMate...  TextMate uses the default font of
> Monaco...  the Xcode screenshot on Wikipedia uses Courier... I wonder if
> Xcode looks as good as TextMate when the font is changed to Monaco as
> well?  Thank you.

I think I had XCode using Monaco last time I worked with it.  It looked
fine.

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser
http://www.marnen.org

> > Xcode looks as good as TextMate when the font is changed to Monaco as
> > well?  Thank you.
>
> I think I had XCode using Monaco last time I worked with it.  It looked
> fine.
>
> Best,
> --
> Marnen Laibow-Koser
> http://www.marnen.org
> marnen@marnen.org

Jian, I use Xcode sometimes when I'm doing MacRuby development with
Monaco font and a size of 14pt.  Xcode allows you to change the font
size as
do most applications that allow you enter text.

Good luck,

-Conrad
389102eb1ab4abf162c1cd1f7b147d5a?d=identicon&s=25 Jian Lin (jianlin)
on 2009-05-09 11:46
Conrad Taylor wrote:

> Jian, I use Xcode sometimes when I'm doing MacRuby development with
> Monaco font and a size of 14pt.  Xcode allows you to change the font
> size as
> do most applications that allow you enter text.

so there is no need to spend 39 euro to buy TextMate?  I was wondering
if other editors can open up a folder and put it on the left panel like
TextMate does...  that's kind of handy for RoR development.
40db9e75b3f5899258e3bdc0c9210154?d=identicon&s=25 Conrad Taylor (conradwt)
On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 2:46 AM, Jian Lin
<rails-mailing-list@andreas-s.net>wrote:

> if other editors can open up a folder and put it on the left panel like
> TextMate does...  that's kind of handy for RoR development.

You can simply use whatever makes you happy.  BTW, most editors have
similar
feature.

-Conrad
54404bcac0f45bf1c8e8b827cd9bb709?d=identicon&s=25 7stud -- (7stud)
on 2009-05-09 12:01
Jian Lin wrote:
> Conrad Taylor wrote:
>

>> Jian, I use Xcode sometimes when I'm doing MacRuby development with
>> Monaco font and a size of 14pt.  Xcode allows you to change the font
>> size as
>> do most applications that allow you enter text.
>
> so there is no need to spend 39 euro to buy TextMate?  I was wondering
> if other editors can open up a folder and put it on the left panel like
> TextMate does...  that's kind of handy for RoR development.

I think rails.vim and project will do that for you.

Since Xcode is not able to properly indent braces used in this style:

somefunc()
{
    while true
    {

    }
}

I find it the most frustrating IDE I've ever used.  That is just basic
functionality that every IDE has to have.  Not being able to get that
right is pretty pathetic.  So I try not to use Xcode for anything.
389102eb1ab4abf162c1cd1f7b147d5a?d=identicon&s=25 Jian Lin (jianlin)
on 2009-05-09 12:15
by the way, i was using Notepad++ a lot on the PC, and almost want to
just use that for anything... but it seems to have no way to open up a
folder like TextMate does... so it is a bit inconvenient for RoR
development.
40db9e75b3f5899258e3bdc0c9210154?d=identicon&s=25 Conrad Taylor (conradwt)
On Sat, May 9, 2009 at 3:01 AM, 7stud --
<rails-mailing-list@andreas-s.net>wrote:

> > so there is no need to spend 39 euro to buy TextMate?  I was wondering
>    {
>
>    }
> }
>
> I find it the most frustrating IDE I've ever used.  That is just basic
> functionality that every IDE has to have.  Not being able to get that
> right is pretty pathetic.  So I try not to use Xcode for anything.

This is very easy to do in Xcode.  Thus, I can easily do both the
following:

int someFunction() {

}

or

int someFunction()
{

}

The convention for braces in most C based languages (C, C++, Java) is

int someFunction() {

}

Why?  It allows you to save a line for each block of code.  This is very
similar
to Ruby in this regard for both function and blocks.  For example,

def some_function( some_arguments )

   some_arguments.each do | argument |

-Conrad