Forum: JRuby Jruby + Rails + SOAP

C0cb3aadb9a66d00df16686f4a1fc312?d=identicon&s=25 Tim Uckun (Guest)
I am currently using actionwebservice to provide SOAP services in my
rails
application. The rails soap server is lame.  There are several forks of
it
each of which is addressing one issue or another and nobody seems to be
the
official maintainer of it.

The same goes for SOAP clients in ruby. SOAP4R is functional for the
basic
stuff but there are all kinds of conflicts and issues with it. Plus it's
slow as hell.

OTOH java has first rate SOAP clients and servers.

Has anybody ever tried to integrate apache axis with rails using jruby?

That would be a pretty great combination for the "enterprise" developer.
B2625ae7fa60dce7697771ca1ef57444?d=identicon&s=25 Paweł Wielgus (Guest)
Hi Tim,
i haven't did exactly what You are trying but i have working struts
apps that havily uses both jruby and axis.
Maybe starting axix on tomcat and writing some kind of bridge/proxy to
Your rails app will do the work for You.
Axis is a servlet and rails also so they just need to talk to each
other inside one container.
This way or another it's very interesting how it will work for You so
please keep us up to date on Your progress.

Best greetings,
Pawe³ Wielgus.

2009/5/8 Tim Uckun <timuckun@gmail.com>:

> Has anybody ever tried to integrate apache axis with rails using jruby?
>
> That would be a pretty great combination for the "enterprise" developer.

I blogged about using Metro backend with a Ruby client at:

http://blogs.sun.com/arungupta/entry/totd_12_invoking_a_java

Have not tried plugging in the server-side but should be fairly straight
forward.

Thanks,
-Arun

--
Application Platform, Sun Microsystems, Inc.
Blog: http://blogs.sun.com/arungupta

> I blogged about using Metro backend with a Ruby client at:
>
> http://blogs.sun.com/arungupta/entry/totd_12_invoking_a_java

Thanks. Ruby works OK as a SOAP client. Not great but OK.