Forum: GNU Radio MIMO and USRP

F2f24fc2dae75528fbf2f75cbf6d4ae3?d=identicon&s=25 john boon (Guest)
hi all,
       i haven't had any reply till now on "MIMO with USRP". its very
unfortunate that big people like eric,jonathan and even matt didn't
reply to
my query. A Board like USRP which started way back in 2005 (usrp1..which
is
mimo capable according to ieee spectrum 2006 ), still dont have any
reference code for MIMO. sorry to say, this is really slow pace..work. I
Understand I NEED to write and make  a way out  and for that one has to
go
through mails lists archives. But my investigation requires me to test
different flavours of MIMO, i would have been happy if there is some
working
code on which I NEED TO BUILD MANY FLAVOURS of MIMO without really
breaking
down my head over writing hardware related configurations program.
Forget
about C++, i dont think any python reference code exists for MIMO.
having so
many standards like wimax and LTE which have MIMO implementations, i
think
gnuradio forum people should seriously think about MIMO implementations.
Anyway..no way..out i have started writing code..but i still stand on
the
word.."this is not the way you support for open source hardware ---->
this
is to hardware manufacturers"

thanks
john
john boon wrote:
> MIMO without really breaking down my head over writing hardware related
> configurations program. Forget about C++, i dont think any python
> reference code exists for MIMO. having so many standards like wimax and
> LTE which have MIMO implementations, i think gnuradio forum people
> should seriously think about MIMO implementations. Anyway..no way..out i
> have started writing code..but i still stand on the word.."this is not
> the way you support for open source hardware ----> this is to hardware
> manufacturers"
>
> thanks
> john

John,

Normally I wouldn't respond to a post/flame like this, but in this case
I'll make an exception.

On response, or lack thereof, to your original email -- there are a
number of reasons that I did not respond to it.  First, your email was
sent about 2 days before, and sometimes when you are busy it just takes
longer than that to get to it.  Second, in addition to the mailing list,
you sent copies of it to 10 people, at least 8 of whom are also on the
GNU Radio mailing list.  You then sent it to the mailing list _again_
only 5 hours later, resulting in 3 copies of it for all of us.

I can't and don't speak, however, for the other "big" people, but I do
know they are busy as well.  We all do tend to be more likely to answer
questions when it looks like the author has followed these guidelines:

  http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/ReportingErrors

On the subject of there being no MIMO reference implementation -- you
need to understand that GNU Radio is a library on which to build your
applications.  We do have examples in the code which show how to receive
multiple signals simultaneously, and how to transmit multiple signals
simultaneously.

We cannot possibly have reference implementations of everything people
would like to do with GNU Radio.  That is a little like saying that the
glibc C library should have a reference implementation of a word
processor.  Also, LTE, WiMAX, and other systems like that are _very_
complex, and a reference implementation could take many person-years to
complete.  Us "big people" only have so many hours in a day.

I can tell you that many people have successfully built MIMO systems
around GNU Radio and the USRP, so it is possible to do with the tools
which we have provided.  Some of these implementations were done as part
of Master's or PhD theses, and some have been done in the commercial
sphere.  It would be nice if these implementations were contributed back
to GNU Radio or to CGRAN (or even hosted elsewhere), but we cannot force
anyone to do this.

As for a slow pace to the work, I would say that this is a volunteer
project, and people work on what they are interested in.  None of the
core people are working on a MIMO reference implementation.  Instead, we
are working on the _core_ itself, so that we can provide the best
possible platform for _you_ to build your application.

As for hardware support, the first thing to understand is that Eric
Blossom and Johnathan Corgan do not supply hardware.  They receive no
direct benefit from your purchase.  They have their own companies,
(Blossom Research and Corgan Enterprises respectively), and do
consulting and training around GNU Radio in order to earn a living.

If you do feel that the hardware support has been lacking, then I am
sorry.  However, I do not promise to include MIMO reference
implementations or immediate answers to every question about GNU Radio
with your purchase.  This is a part of the reason why we can provide the
hardware at the price we do.

Matt
E16be4811324adf8f26be26d77e9d29d?d=identicon&s=25 Bob McGwier (Guest)
Great.

Sit in front of your keyboard and during the time you wrote this
complaint you could have made a start on the code.  If you need to build
flavors of MIMO and you cannot even make this beginning yourself,  you
are in the wrong end of this business.

This is a user contributed project.  Matt sells hardware.  Users write
the code.  If you cannot do that and you simply want a code monkey to do
your work, I suggest you contact Jonathan Coulton or hire a contractor
or work on it yourself QUIETLY.

Bob McGwier

john boon wrote:
> MANY FLAVOURS of MIMO without really breaking down my head over

(Co)Author: DttSP, Quiktrak, PowerSDR, GnuRadio
NJQRP, QRP ARCI, QCWA, FRC.
"You don't need to see the whole staircase, just
 take the first step.", MLK.
Twitter:rwmcgwier
Active: Facebook,Myspace,LinkedIn
F2f24fc2dae75528fbf2f75cbf6d4ae3?d=identicon&s=25 john boon (Guest)
pity on you,
                please read the way matt (dignified way) has responded.
expected a certain level of dignity in mails. Please make out my mail in
such a dignified manner. This is not a complaint in first place..a
query..Till date i have 6 patents issued on mimo and smartAntennas
...and
you are teaching me..where to do business..

john