Forum: JRuby JRuby/Rails native extensions

50559ee0e682204ad3aea45c81cf80d9?d=identicon&s=25 akochnev (Guest)
From attending Charles' presentation at Community One East this year
(http://www28.cplan.com/cc231/session_details.jsp?i...)
I somehow got the distinct impression that JRuby supported native
extensions
out of the box. Now that I'm looking through the forum, it appears like
for
native Rails gems to be supported, they need to be converted in some
way.

Could someone please enlighten me on the state of native extension
support ?
If they're not supported out of the box, is there a list of already
"converted"/"supported" native Rails gems somewhere ?
akochnev wrote:
> From attending Charles' presentation at Community One East this year

(http://www28.cplan.com/cc231/session_details.jsp?i...)
> I somehow got the distinct impression that JRuby supported native extensions
> out of the box. Now that I'm looking through the forum, it appears like for
> native Rails gems to be supported, they need to be converted in some way.

[1] and [2] explains roughly what's going on. There are a number of ways
to access C libraries, and jruby only supports one: ffi.

Damian

[1] <http://www.infoq.com/news/2008/12/ruby-ffi-on-mri-jruby>
[2] <http://blog.headius.com/2008/10/ffi-for-ruby-now-a...

Damian,
  thanks for the quick clarification, just what I needed.

Cheers,

Alex Kotchnev