Forum: Ruby RDoc, gems, and documentation for dynamically generated constants

Aee77dba395ece0a04c688b05b07cd63?d=identicon&s=25 Daniel Berger (djberg96)

I've got a library that dynamically generates constants the moment
it's loaded. It looks something like this at the top of the file:

['ALPHA', 'BETA', 'GAMMA'].each{ |name|
   Dir.const_set(name, 1)
}

The problem is that the constants aren't documented at all when the
gem is installed. I'd like to be able to document those constants for
rubygems so that, when the library is installed I can attach a comment
to each constant.

I tried something like this:

require 'rdoc/constant'

['ALPHA', 'BETA', 'GAMMA'].each{ |name|
   Dir.const_set(name, 1)
   RDoc::Constant.new(name, 1, "Dynamically generated constant #
{name}")
}

But that doesn't work because rubygems doesn't actually require the
file, it just parses it, so the RDoc::Constant objects are never
generated (I think).

What's the best way to handle this, assuming it's possible?

Regards,

Dan
On May 4, 2009, at 20:14, Daniel Berger wrote:
> to each constant.
>
> But that doesn't work because rubygems doesn't actually require the
> file, it just parses it, so the RDoc::Constant objects are never
> generated (I think).
>
> What's the best way to handle this, assuming it's possible?

I added support for "ghost" methods to the ruby parser in RDoc, the
same would need to be added to support constants this way.

you can search around the source for GhostMethod to get an idea, and
I'll be on IRC later today to help you out (or whenever).

It's not too difficult a feature to add, there's tests you can copy,
too.