Forum: RSpec [Cucumber] Using Cucumber to test Erlang servers directly

A9b3b6f3ea2e49d18d5bb14dbc0a1e13?d=identicon&s=25 Jim Morris (Guest)
I don't know if this will interest anyone, but I thought it was a
pretty cool use of Cucumber :)

I've posted a Blog article on how I use Cucumber to test an Erlang
Server directly by talking to my Erlang Nodes.

http://blog.wolfman.com/articles/2009/5/2/using-cu...

It uses Cucumber running under JRuby which uses JInterface to talk to
the Erlang servers.

I hope someone else finds this a fascinating use of Cucumber ;)
C694a032be7518a0d704318895f8fe1d?d=identicon&s=25 Ben Mabey (mabes)
Jim Morris wrote:

> I hope someone else finds this a fascinating use of Cucumber ;)

That is awesome.  Thanks for sharing!

-Ben
> I don't know if this will interest anyone, but I thought it was a
> pretty cool use of Cucumber :)

OMG sooo cool.

Added here:
http://wiki.github.com/aslakhellesoy/cucumber/tuto...

Aslak
A9b3b6f3ea2e49d18d5bb14dbc0a1e13?d=identicon&s=25 wolfmanjm (Guest)
Thanks, this is a work in progress it should get more sophisticated as
I write more features.

BTW Aslak this is why I needed the scenario name in the After hook, I
get a lot of Erlang messages which get stored, and the Steps should
test for them and consume them off the queue, however as Erlang and
messages are totally asynchronous, I don't want to print them out when
they come in, or in the After hook, as that screws up the Scenario
Outline reports.

Hence they are stored and printed in the at_exit hook.

Using cucumber to debug asynchronous processes will probably introduce
a lot of interesting edge cases ;)

Thanks