Forum: JRuby nginx, Sinatra, HAML, GlassFish gem blogs

7272e9b76ce86da2eaef559d2e824b9a?d=identicon&s=25 Arun Gupta (Guest)
I've published a few blog entries this week that'll be useful for this
audience:

nginx + GlassFish recipe:
http://blogs.sun.com/arungupta/entry/totd_81_how_to_use

Sinatra CRUD + HAML + GlassFish Gem:
http://blogs.sun.com/arungupta/entry/totd_80_sinat...

Getting started with Sinatra + GlassFish gem:
http://blogs.sun.com/arungupta/entry/totd_79_getti...

And of course, they all use JRuby :) See them live in action at
RailsConf next week.

Feedback appreciated!

Thanks,
-Arun
--
Application Platform, Sun Microsystems, Inc.
Blog: http://blogs.sun.com/arungupta

Arun Gupta wrote:
> http://blogs.sun.com/arungupta/entry/totd_79_getti...
>
> And of course, they all use JRuby :) See them live in action at
> RailsConf next week.
>
> Feedback appreciated!

Very nice Arun, thanks especially for the nginx writeup.

- Charlie

Maybe this is a dumb question, but why would one want to use a front-end
proxy server like nginx or Apache for GlassFish?  Isn't GF already
multithreaded and has the ability to start multiple Rails instances at
one
time?  What would you be gaining with nginx?  I thought the benefits of
using JRuby and GF was to get away with a more complicated proxied
server
setup?

Joe

On Thu, Apr 30, 2009 at 10:24 AM, Charles Oliver Nutter <
The classic question, and there's a simple answer: it's easier to proxy
if you already have Apache or nginx set up for other purposes. If you
can accept just running GF gem and nothing else, it ought to work great
too, but this makes it easier to have one or several GF gem-hosted apps
in a heterogeneous environment based on Apache or nginx as the
integration point.

Joseph Athman wrote:
> <charles.nutter@sun.com <mailto:charles.nutter@sun.com>> wrote:
>         http://blogs.sun.com/arungupta/entry/totd_80_sinat...
>     Very nice Arun, thanks especially for the nginx writeup.

Glassfish can't set the expires header correctly. If you have GF
serving CDN origin assets you are hosed.
C525435d460373e31aed692ceb499b40?d=identicon&s=25 Vivek Pandey (Guest)
Great posts arun!

Ikai,

This would be a bug, can you open an issue at
http://rubyforge.org/projects/glassfishgem/ with little more detail,
like in
what situation you observed this?

Charlie summed it well on why you want to proxy but this is not you need
in
all the cases. You can always start as many jruby runtimes as your
hradware
can take.

-vivek.