Forum: Ruby gem install - will not work outside of bin folder

Announcement (2017-05-07): www.ruby-forum.com is now read-only since I unfortunately do not have the time to support and maintain the forum any more. Please see rubyonrails.org/community and ruby-lang.org/en/community for other Rails- und Ruby-related community platforms.
Cf63da956b6ba955687a2f2f262928cb?d=identicon&s=25 Mmcolli00 Mom (mmcolli00)
on 2009-04-29 23:10
Hi

I just installed ruby 1.8.6 stable version on windows xp pc. When I try
to install gems by gem install gemname...it says 'command not
recognized'. When I download a gem manually and put in the bin folder
and then use gem install it will work. However, it is only working for
some gems. Other error messages that I am getting is that the gem is of
invalid format. Do you know why I can't run update gems outside of the
bin folder or why some will not install?

Thanks
MC
28f5a897a255c1d9780ad525f0b934a9?d=identicon&s=25 Lyle Johnson (Guest)
on 2009-04-29 23:16
(Received via mailing list)
On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 4:10 PM, Mmcolli00 Mom <mmc_collins@yahoo.com>
wrote:

> I just installed ruby 1.8.6 stable version on windows xp pc. When I try
> to install gems by gem install gemname...it says 'command not
> recognized'

Make sure that the "ruby\bin" directory is in your PATH.
Cf63da956b6ba955687a2f2f262928cb?d=identicon&s=25 Mmcolli00 Mom (mmcolli00)
on 2009-04-29 23:22
Lyle Johnson wrote:
> On Wed, Apr 29, 2009 at 4:10 PM, Mmcolli00 Mom <mmc_collins@yahoo.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I just installed ruby 1.8.6 stable version on windows xp pc. When I try
>> to install gems by gem install gemname...it says 'command not
>> recognized'
>
> Make sure that the "ruby\bin" directory is in your PATH.

I copied those to the bin and then set my path to ruby\bin. Then I use
gem install gemname but it says my rake is of invalid format...so I go
to next gem and use gem install and it says that gem is also of invalid
format.
E7cff3cfd41c495e1012227d7dc24202?d=identicon&s=25 Luis Lavena (luislavena)
on 2009-04-30 06:45
(Received via mailing list)
On Apr 29, 6:23 pm, Mmcolli00 Mom <mmc_coll...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I copied those to the bin and then set my path to ruby\bin. Then I use
> gem install gemname but it says my rake is of invalid format...so I go
> to next gem and use gem install and it says that gem is also of invalid
> format.

Will be much more helpful than your description that you can provide
output of:

set PATH
gem env
gem install rake

The actual commands and the real output can help us help you.
Cf63da956b6ba955687a2f2f262928cb?d=identicon&s=25 Mmcolli00 Mom (mmcolli00)
on 2009-04-30 15:45
Thanks Luis... so, you are saying that I can use a commands such as 'set
Path' and 'gem env'? I didn't know these were available. Where can I
find documentation on using these commands and commands like these?
E7cff3cfd41c495e1012227d7dc24202?d=identicon&s=25 Luis Lavena (luislavena)
on 2009-04-30 19:57
(Received via mailing list)
On Apr 30, 10:45 am, Mmcolli00 Mom <mmc_coll...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Thanks Luis... so, you are saying that I can use a commands such as 'set
> Path' and 'gem env'? I didn't know these were available. Where can I
> find documentation on using these commands and commands like these?
>

set PATH is abuilt-in command of Windows.

set let you set or unset environment variables. PATH is the
environment variable that let the system search for executables.

"gem" is the RubyGems executable you use to install, uninstall and
update gems in your Ruby installation:

http://docs.rubygems.org/

From the command prompt and inside your Ruby\bin directory, execute
the above mentioned commands and check the output.

If you're not familiar with the command prompt. I suggest you read
more documentation how to use it. Similar knowledge acquired here will
help you on other platforms.

Regards,
Cf63da956b6ba955687a2f2f262928cb?d=identicon&s=25 Mmcolli00 Mom (mmcolli00)
on 2009-04-30 20:00
Ok thanks for the info. - MC
58479f76374a3ba3c69b9804163f39f4?d=identicon&s=25 Eric Hodel (Guest)
on 2009-04-30 20:52
(Received via mailing list)
On Apr 30, 2009, at 10:56, Luis Lavena wrote:
> environment variable that let the system search for executables.
> more documentation how to use it. Similar knowledge acquired here will
> help you on other platforms.

also, `gem help` will give help on the gem executable.
This topic is locked and can not be replied to.