Forum: Rails deployment Website won't load

Aa4cff8c926b6628e21d3bd4950ed204?d=identicon&s=25 Terence Pires (terencepires)
on 2009-04-27 22:07
Hi there,

First of all, as i'm new here i would like to salute everybody on the
forum.

I'm a total Rails and Ruby newbie and had a hard time trying to set up a
dev environment on my computer but now i'm done, thanks to instantrails.

I'm currently trying to modify an existing website, but it won't load...
The example apps provided in instantrails work well...

I understand that there are config files i should modify but i have no
idea on what to edit.

Can somebody help ?

Cheers

Terence
0ea37981df840f29e65e92c03f4863ed?d=identicon&s=25 Tyler Cornett (freehugs)
on 2009-04-28 02:06
Terence Pires wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> First of all, as i'm new here i would like to salute everybody on the
> forum.
>
> I'm a total Rails and Ruby newbie and had a hard time trying to set up a
> dev environment on my computer but now i'm done, thanks to instantrails.
>
> I'm currently trying to modify an existing website, but it won't load...
> The example apps provided in instantrails work well...
>
> I understand that there are config files i should modify but i have no
> idea on what to edit.
>
> Can somebody help ?
>
> Cheers
>
> Terence

There are numerous free tutorials on the web, however I would highly
recommend the book "Agile Web Development with Rails rev. 3" by Dave
Thomas.

It can be found here:
http://www.pragprog.com/titles/rails3/agile-web-de...

The best way to learn the guts of ruby (once you're up and running):
http://corelib.rubyonrails.org/
http://stdlib.rubyonrails.org/
http://api.rubyonrails.org/

Really all you have to do to get started is to know a couple things:

1. open up a shell (command prompt) and change directory to where you
want to put your application.
2. Then type rails appname.
3. change directory into the new application.
4. change app/config/database.yml to your database information (no
configuration necessary if you are using sqlite3
5. run rake db:create
6. from then on just type ruby script/generate and it will show you all
the options you can use with the generator.

You'll then need to generate models, controllers, and views for the
different functions of  your application.

Have fun!