Forum: Ruby rice-1.1.0 with Ruby 1.9.0 compatibility!

83ca41657a99b65d99889abe712ba5e2?d=identicon&s=25 Jason Roelofs (Guest)
Rice: Ruby Interface for C++ Extensions

Change Log:

* Works on Ruby 1.8.6, 1.8.7 and 1.9.0 with no changes to current
extensions
* Fixed memory leaks
* Fixed various compilation issues, build uses the system's ruby
library and doesn't assume the name of libruby.so
* Now properly uses the ruby in --with-ruby for every step of the
compilation process (e.g. can be installed on multiple ruby installs
on a single system)
* Removed all uses of known deprecated APIs, like STR2CSTR
* Now builds extensions to allow multiple Rice extensions to be
require'd together

What is Rice?

Rice is a C++ interface to Ruby's C API.  It provides a type-safe and
exception-safe interface in order to make embedding Ruby and writing
Ruby extensions with C++ easier.  It is similar to Boost.Python in many
ways, but also attempts to provide an object-oriented interface to all
of the Ruby C API.

What Rice gives you:
* A simple C++-based syntax for wrapping and defining classes
* Automatic conversion of exceptions between C++ and Ruby
* Smart pointers for handling garbage collection
* Wrappers for most builtin types to simplify calling code

 Documentation: http://rice.rubyforge.org
 Project Page:  http://rubyforge.org/projects/rice

How do you get Rice?

 gem install rice

Note: Rice does require a C++ compiler. See the Documentation page for
more details.

How simple of a syntax?

wrapper.cpp

 #include "rice/Class.hpp"

 class MyWrapper {
 public:
   MyWrapper() { }

   void doThis() { }
   int doThat(int a, float b) { }
 };

 extern "C"
 void Init_wrapper()
 {
 define_class<MyWrapper>("MyWrapper")
  .define_constructor(Constructor<MyWrapper>())
  .define_method("do_this", &MyWrapper::doThis)
  .define_method("do_that", &MyWrapper::doThat);
 }

extconf.rb

 require 'mkmf-rice'
 create_makefile("wrapper")

test.rb

 require 'wrapper'
 c = MyWrapper.new
 c.do_this
 c.do_that(1, 2.0)

Building Ruby wrapper extensions have never been so easy!
On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 10:06 AM, Jason Roelofs <jameskilton@gmail.com>
wrote:
> Rice: Ruby Interface for C++ Extensions
>
> Change Log:
>
> * Works on Ruby 1.8.6, 1.8.7 and 1.9.0 with no changes to current extensions

Do you mean 1.9.1?

(1.9.0 was an unstable developer snapshot)

-greg
83ca41657a99b65d99889abe712ba5e2?d=identicon&s=25 Jason Roelofs (Guest)
On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 10:39 AM, Gregory Brown
<gregory.t.brown@gmail.com> wrote:
> (1.9.0 was an unstable developer snapshot)
>
> -greg

Crap, I knew I was missing something. I had somehow got my mind
switched from 1.9.1 to 1.9.0 and have tested against that older
version. Unfortunately right now, Rice does *not* run properly against
1.9.1, there's something with the exception handling that I can't
figure out that causes segfaults. This looks to be "fixed" in trunk,
but that's not going to be out for a while (I've heard even well into
next year).

So I guess I misspoke a bit here, Rice is not fully 1.9 compatible,
though hopefully this issue can be figured out and fixed soon. When it
does I'll get another release out.

Jason
81b5e41ae80dc7f1aa57d2bf40e7e7d0?d=identicon&s=25 Shawn Anderson (Guest)
HA, he gotcha there Jason!

Congrats on the release.

/Shawn