Forum: Ruby on Rails Engines VS rails3

B2099e6049b78ac28d07e5d8f0a01300?d=identicon&s=25 rails.nerd@gmail.com (Guest)
So in the recent doubleshot
http://afreshcup.com/2009/04/24/double-shot-438/
there is the comment "Tips for writing your own Rails engine .... I’d
wait for Rails 3 if I could myself."

What is planned for Rails3 that is preferable over Engines?  Would not
moving to Engines now make it easier to adapt to Rails3 anyway?
Acd62030df551952268e84c8fff26a5b?d=identicon&s=25 James Adam (lazyatom)
On Apr 27, 5:16 am, "rails.n...@gmail.com" <rails.n...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> What is planned for Rails3 that is preferable over Engines?  Would not
> moving to Engines now make it easier to adapt to Rails3 anyway?

I think the idea is that Rails 3 will be more modular and have more
stable APIs for plugging in engine-like functionality. The engines
support in Rails 2.3 (at the moment, at least) is really just the
simplest possible to support an app directory and loading routes.