Forum: GNU Radio usb connection USRP

Ac4295e98c43816f3b186d069dd12b5a?d=identicon&s=25 Don Latham (Guest)
OK. Finally managed to get the gnuradio compiled and installed. Now I've
put the recommended 10-usrp.rules file in the right place, checking the
syntax twice, and tried all the suggested steps (reboot, start/stop
udev,
killall etc.). When I look at /dev/bus/usb, I see the "owners" of the
device as root root instead of root usrp. lsusb shows the device is
there,
lsusb -v shows std.ihx has not loaded.
Further, running the datarate example <./usrp_benchmark_usb.py>, brings
the joyous news:
"could not claim interface operation not permitted" and the subsequent
failure to load std.ihx. I have made the usrp group and am happy to be a
member of same. The failure seems to be that the device belongs to root
root and not to root usrp? I tried to fix that, but of course failed
miserably, and none of the books I have here give me a clue as to the
arcane structure of usb interface software structure. I should mention
that unplugging and replugging the usb cable or restarting the usrp
helps
at all. Oh woe. Can you help?
Thanks again!
Don

--
Dr. Don Latham AJ7LL
Six Mile Systems LLP
On Fri, Apr 24, 2009 at 03:33:40PM -0600, Don Latham wrote:
> member of same. The failure seems to be that the device belongs to root
> root and not to root usrp? I tried to fix that, but of course failed
> miserably, and none of the books I have here give me a clue as to the
> arcane structure of usb interface software structure. I should mention
> that unplugging and replugging the usb cable or restarting the usrp helps
> at all. Oh woe. Can you help?
> Thanks again!
> Don

Don,

I know you said you checked the syntax, but just to be sure, you've
got GROUP:="usrp", MODE:="0666" right?  Without the ":=" part, it's
possible
that the rule gets overridden by a later rule.

You might check /var/log/messages (or where ever udevd logs) for
additional hints.  See $ man 7 udev

Eric