Forum: Ruby Difference between gem install rmagick and port rb-rmagick

953d32e245f7eb0e670bde0577f1eb43?d=identicon&s=25 Pito Salas (pitosalas)
on 2009-04-24 22:57
This is an instance of a more general question...

What is the difference if I install a gem with gem install vs.
installing it with port (which I already use for other applications)

or, is rb-rmagick something different from the gem called rmagick?

Thanks!

Pito
3afd3e5e05dc9310c89aa5762cc8dd1d?d=identicon&s=25 Tim Hunter (Guest)
Pito Salas wrote:
> This is an instance of a more general question...
>
> What is the difference if I install a gem with gem install vs.
> installing it with port (which I already use for other applications)
>
> or, is rb-rmagick something different from the gem called rmagick?
>
> Thanks!
>
> Pito

The software is the same, but the packaging system is different. If you
install RMagick using the gem command, then you manage it (update,
remove, etc.) with the gem command. If you install RMagick with the port
command then you manage it with the port command.

But (version differences aside) RMagick is RMagick no matter how you
install it.