Forum: Ruby Odd Ruby/Rubygems/gem path problem

953d32e245f7eb0e670bde0577f1eb43?d=identicon&s=25 Pito Salas (pitosalas)
on 2009-04-24 22:49
I've spent too much time trying to solve this little problem. I wonder
if you can help:

I work on a Mac OS X Leopard. I recently started using a different
account as my primary login. Things that shouldnt have, started
breaking. I suspect permissions, file ownership etc problems. But
check this out

# I am using shoulda as a random example gem, this example has nothing
# to do specifically with shoulda

# see that I do have shoulda installed:

$ gem which shoulda
(checking gem thoughtbot-shoulda-2.10.1 for shoulda)
/opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/thoughtbot-shoulda-2.10.1/lib/shoulda.rb

# see that I have Ruby automatically searching for gems
$ echo $RUBYOPT
rubygems

# see that my ruby install works for a trivial case
$ ruby -e "puts 1"
1

# see that it refuses to see the shoulda gem from the command line
$ ruby -rshoulda -e "puts 1"
ruby: no such file to load -- shoulda (LoadError)
$ ruby -rubygems -rshoulda -e "puts 1"
ruby: no such file to load -- shoulda (LoadError)
$ ruby -rubygems -rshoulda -e "puts 1"

#see this trivial program:
$ cat test1.rb
require 'rubygems'
require 'shoulda'
puts `gem which shoulda`/mydev/graphicsplay

# does work as expected
$ ruby test1.rb
(checking gem thoughtbot-shoulda-2.10.1 for shoulda)
/opt/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.8/gems/thoughtbot-shoulda-2.10.1/lib/shoulda.rb
/mydev/graphicsplay$

### Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. It's probably something
stupid I am just missing it...

Thanks!

Pito
On Apr 24, 2009, at 13:49, Pito Salas wrote:

> # see that it refuses to see the shoulda gem from the command line
> $ ruby -rshoulda -e "puts 1"
> ruby: no such file to load -- shoulda (LoadError)
> $ ruby -rubygems -rshoulda -e "puts 1"
> ruby: no such file to load -- shoulda (LoadError)
> $ ruby -rubygems -rshoulda -e "puts 1"

the -r command line option uses rb_require() the C function, not
Kernel#require the method.  1.9 does not have this limitation.
953d32e245f7eb0e670bde0577f1eb43?d=identicon&s=25 Pito Salas (pitosalas)
on 2009-04-25 02:37
Eric Hodel wrote:
> On Apr 24, 2009, at 13:49, Pito Salas wrote:
>
>> # see that it refuses to see the shoulda gem from the command line
>> $ ruby -rshoulda -e "puts 1"
>> ruby: no such file to load -- shoulda (LoadError)
>> $ ruby -rubygems -rshoulda -e "puts 1"
>> ruby: no such file to load -- shoulda (LoadError)
>> $ ruby -rubygems -rshoulda -e "puts 1"
>
> the -r command line option uses rb_require() the C function, not
> Kernel#require the method.  1.9 does not have this limitation.

Eric, thanks. I am not sure of the implication of that. Are you saying
therefore that one cannot rely on -rrubygems -rshoulda to work?

- Pito
On Apr 24, 2009, at 17:38, Pito Salas wrote:
>> the -r command line option uses rb_require() the C function, not
>> Kernel#require the method.  1.9 does not have this limitation.
>
> Eric, thanks. I am not sure of the implication of that. Are you saying
> therefore that one cannot rely on -rrubygems -rshoulda to work?

With ruby 1.8, no.  There is a workaround though:

ruby -rubygems -e 'require "shoulda"; ...'
1bc63d01bd3fcccc36fb030a62039352?d=identicon&s=25 David Masover (Guest)
On Friday 24 April 2009 16:34:47 Eric Hodel wrote:
> the -r command line option uses rb_require() the C function, not
> Kernel#require the method.  1.9 does not have this limitation.

However, 1.9's Kernel#autoload does seem to have that very limitation.

Worse, I cannot figure out how to duplicate autoload in pure Ruby, at
least on
1.9. I could do it in Rubinius, I think.

Is there a reason for this? Should I file a bug?
953d32e245f7eb0e670bde0577f1eb43?d=identicon&s=25 Pito Salas (pitosalas)
on 2009-04-26 15:09
Eric Hodel wrote:
> On Apr 24, 2009, at 17:38, Pito Salas wrote:
>>> the -r command line option uses rb_require() the C function, not
>>> Kernel#require the method.  1.9 does not have this limitation.
>>
>> Eric, thanks. I am not sure of the implication of that. Are you saying
>> therefore that one cannot rely on -rrubygems -rshoulda to work?
>
> With ruby 1.8, no.  There is a workaround though:
>
> ruby -rubygems -e 'require "shoulda"; ...'

Another slight confusion: I've read about -rubygems as well as putting
"rubygems" into RUBY_OPT in a document about gems.

But, in fact if I do a man ruby or a ruby --help there's no mention of
the -rubygems option:

$ruby --h
Usage: ruby [switches] [--] [programfile] [arguments]
  -0[octal]       specify record separator (\0, if no argument)
  -a              autosplit mode with -n or -p (splits $_ into $F)
  -c              check syntax only
  -Cdirectory     cd to directory, before executing your script
  -d              set debugging flags (set $DEBUG to true)
  -e 'command'    one line of script. Several -e's allowed. Omit
[programfile]
  -Fpattern       split() pattern for autosplit (-a)
  -i[extension]   edit ARGV files in place (make backup if extension
supplied)
  -Idirectory     specify $LOAD_PATH directory (may be used more than
once)
  -Kkcode         specifies KANJI (Japanese) code-set
  -l              enable line ending processing
  -n              assume 'while gets(); ... end' loop around your script
  -p              assume loop like -n but print line also like sed
  -rlibrary       require the library, before executing your script
  -s              enable some switch parsing for switches after script
name
  -S              look for the script using PATH environment variable
  -T[level]       turn on tainting checks
  -v              print version number, then turn on verbose mode
  -w              turn warnings on for your script
  -W[level]       set warning level; 0=silence, 1=medium, 2=verbose
(default)
  -x[directory]   strip off text before #!ruby line and perhaps cd to
directory
  --copyright     print the copyright
  --version       print the version

$ ruby -v
ruby 1.8.7 (2009-04-08 patchlevel 160) [powerpc-darwin9]

By the way, my ruby install is via port, in case that matters.
$ which ruby
/opt/local/bin/ruby

At this point I am just confused and curious about what's going on.
What's up with that -rubygems switch?
245a6d22816ecaeac1c9080ad183b859?d=identicon&s=25 badboy (Guest)
Pito Salas schrieb:
> Another slight confusion: I've read about -rubygems as well as putting
>   -Cdirectory     cd to directory, before executing your script
>   -n              assume 'while gets(); ... end' loop around your script
>   -x[directory]   strip off text before #!ruby line and perhaps cd to
>

> At this point I am just confused and curious about what's going on.
> What's up with that -rubygems switch?
in fact it's just the -r switch with ubygems to load
I have the ubygems.rb in /usr/lib/ruby/site_ruby/1.8/
and the first line says:
 # This file allows for the running of rubygems with a nice
 # command line look-and-feel: ruby -rubygems foo.rb
all code it contains is:
 require 'rubygems'