Forum: Ruby My book, "The Well-Grounded Rubyist" (PDF)

F53b05cdbdf561cfe141f69b421244f3?d=identicon&s=25 David A. Black (Guest)
Hi all --

I'm very happy to announce that my book "The Well-Grounded Rubyist" is
now available in PDF. The paper version will follow in a couple of
weeks or so.

TWGR is an expanded, updated, Ruby-only reworking of my 2006 book
"Ruby for Rails". It targets Ruby 1.9.1, and includes a great deal of
new material (enough that it took me almost a year longer than I
thought it would to write :-) The book is entirely about the Ruby
language, not Rails. Lots of readers of R4R encouraged me to write a
"just-Ruby" book, and here it is!

You can get more information at: http://manning.com/black2. Enjoy!

David
On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 6:11 PM, David A. Black <dblack@rubypal.com>
wrote:
> Hi all --
>
> I'm very happy to announce that my book "The Well-Grounded Rubyist" is
> now available in PDF. The paper version will follow in a couple of
> weeks or so.

Definitely pick this book up if you need to learn the fundamentals of
Ruby,  need a refresher, or plan to teach the fundamentals to others.

It's excellent stuff.

-greg
I assume that the lady at the cover page is not Lady Ada Lovelace, right
;)?
Looks strangely familiar though.
R.
Cd0dbf751457cf6fed1f69070d37006a?d=identicon&s=25 Charles Johnson (Guest)
On Apr 21, 2009, at 5:11 PM, David A. Black wrote:

> Hi all --
>
> I'm very happy to announce that my book "The Well-Grounded Rubyist" is
> now available in PDF. The paper version will follow in a couple of
> weeks or so.

Any plans on a Kindle version?
---
Charles Johnson
Advanced Computing Center for Research and Education
Vanderbilt University
Charles Johnson wrote:
> On Apr 21, 2009, at 5:11 PM, David A. Black wrote:
>
>> Hi all --
>>
>> I'm very happy to announce that my book "The Well-Grounded Rubyist" is
>> now available in PDF. The paper version will follow in a couple of
>> weeks or so.
>>
> Any plans on a Kindle version?

Not yet. Manning is ramping up for Kindle production, I believe, so
maybe not too long from now they'll have one for my book (but I'm just
speculating).

David